Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:33 am 

That is going to be a schweeet bike!
You aren't holding back on the "trick" bits, thats for sure.

three thumbs up.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:55 am 

Dan, what process did you use to get that finish onthe hubs? They came out really nice.

As far as axles, you could try one from a Yamaha seca2 600, I think they might of also been called the xj600. Those axles are 12.25" not including the head of it. I would also think that an axle from a fzr600 of the same era would also work. I don't think that either of them are drilled though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:04 pm 

Walms wrote:
Looks like things are coming together Dan! 8-)
I'm looking forward to seeing this funky layout you have planned for the pipes!

Coming together like molasses in the freezer. ;)

Not sure what form the pipes will take.....soon they will look like something :clap: They were super impressed with your kit Andrew....top notch was the phrase. I sorted and laid everything out and the welder was smiling.......I told him to read the print on the flanges because its a Rubik's cube to me :lol:

"You aren't holding back on the "trick" bits, thats for sure."
Well Cody, it's "man overboard" :D I don't think I will ever build another bike this in depth for lack of a better term. I want to do it with a happy result.

"Dan, what process did you use to get that finish onthe hubs? They came out really nice."

Thanks. A quick touch with 80grit white glass at about 80psi and a long/slow hit with fine walnut at 100 psi. Brillo pads dripping wet always back and forth evenly all around with pretty good "pressure". The last was maroon scotchbrite pads one direction only with as much "pressure" as I could use.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:10 am 

Awesome project! Any update?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:22 pm 

Haven't updated in a while. Been picking parts up here and there but the price of corn flakes has the purchase manager at a slow pace. :P Mostly been working on other folks stuff and working my bill off. Pipes are nearly finished, just need the final tweaking to get them "aimed" right and finish welding.

Got my top end and custom racebike badge

Got nearly the last of the junk chopped off this weekend and the frame ready to fab rearsets. rear wheel spacers made for proper alignment and hashed out the final numbers for the 520 conversion with the FZr swinger. next up are the controls, the z1 fork lowers and single front Brembo fitting

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:28 pm 

:thumbup: . Where did you get the silencers from?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:43 pm 

They're Tyga silencers. As far as I know, they have the best deal on aluminum silencers, and MFW is best for carbon silencers.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:28 pm 

Yes, they are from Tyga as Jim said. They also have the double GP rubber mount used on the right side.....the single for the left is not on yet. The welds are beautiful on everything including the adapters......some guy in Bangkok can really lay a sweet bead :lol: The only other (what I consider) decent aluminum can is from Toomey and they are a bit fugly IMHO. I am sure they are top quality from a build standpoint, just not the look I like.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:34 pm 

what are you going to mount the pipes surports to as you have remove the rear peg frame?

73 KAWASAKI H1 (Sold).
82 YAMAHA RD350LC
2000 KAWI KDX200H
2001 Triumph TT600

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:49 pm 

garand1944 wrote:
The welds are beautiful on everything including the adapters......some guy in Bangkok can really lay a sweet bead :lol:

Thats what I noticed on them, they look very nice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next