Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:05 pm 

oxford wrote:
Tig welding is the only way to go to get rid of the rash if you want to polish it. You will be needing some tig welding done anyways when you put the shock mounts and brake arm tab on. I saw in the original post that you were looking for a 54" wheelbase, you will not be able to achive that with the fzr swingarm. If I remember right you will be around 57" using it.

I may JB weld and paint the swingarm......my ten year old is now the official aesthetics designer and it is up to him. :thumbup: I will have it welded if he decides I should polish it. I have moved to plan "B" for the frame. The FZR arm will lengthen the wheel base but I am having the headstock cut/welded to lessen rake. Taking it up to Randy Illg tomorrow for the final say on how to get the old boy to work in the corners.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

It will be interesting what he says, they do know their stuff. One reason I don't de-rake the 500 frames, is that ground clearance is minimal to start with. Jacking up the back reduces the rake and trail and gives much needed ground clearance. Plus, you can always shorten the AL swinger....... :thumbup:

Just for comparison, I called Dave Crussell one time to measure the distace from the bottom frame rail to the ground on his H1R, he said, "already did, it's a foot"........... :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:34 pm 

Randy knows his stuff and its rare that I am within driving distance of anyone who does since I live in the big cornfields. Of course, its good for some people that they live in the desert far away from me. FrameCrafters will be featured in soon to be airing episodes of CafeRacer. I figured I better get the frame up there before the world discovers them :P What I am really looking forward to is seeing the projects there that people with big checkbooks are funding unlike my bush league attempt. Ground clearance will be a topic as pipes will be the "odd man" out.....if it gets to low to the ground I'm not sure what I would do because I'm not sure what to do now :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:32 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
Plus, you can always shorten the AL swinger....... :thumbup:

You can get it a little shorter without to much work, but to get it to anywhere around the numbers you like moo it needs a lot cutting and welding. That was one of the reasons I sold the fzr swinger that I had. I am trusting you though moo on the 54" wheelbase, the current swingarm I am working on required a ton of work to get there(mostly on my own doing :banghead) and hopefully my measurements are all correct. BTW moo, what is the lenght of the swingarm on your bike from the center of the pivot to the center of the axle?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

It's right at 17" to the center of the slot......

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:16 pm 

My daughter and I made the trek today, met Randy and Karsten and dropped off the bones. Saturday is the day they work on their own race bikes and were doing just that in prep for next weekend at Gingerman. When I showed up Randy stopped working and gave 100% attention to me and what I wanted to do. Listened to what I had to say completely and then went from there. It would have been easy for me to feel like I was taking away his time on their bikes but he went out of his way to make it known that wasn't the case. I don't know how many of you have read the book "Shop Class as Soulcraft" but talking to Randy was much like the book......I enjoyed immensely meeting a couple "real" craftsman who get things done and enjoy it. There's many of you like that on the boards who I hope to meet someday as well. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Of course he paid attention to you, I sent him the "video"........ :e11

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:33 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
Of course he paid attention to you, I sent him the "video"........ :e11

That would explain why he looked at us funny when we pulled up in the Windstar :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:43 pm 

Got the bodywork today from John :thumbup: My ten year old has the paint scheme nailed to his satisfaction. He has a friend over now for dinner and he has verified Sam's pick is "way cool".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

She is going to look sharp! Glad it all got there ok! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next