Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pile of KH to Trackday
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:09 pm 

The subject is these KH bones I bought for $50 twenty years ago seeing the first light of day since Bush 41 was president.

Will be powered by a set of '74 cases with a porschdave crank with chris ritchie labs and an aylor stage2 reed top end. I decided to use this mainly because it has a title ;) and the extra frame bracing. It will be first and foremost a street bike, but, I hope to do my first ever track days on it at Grattan in June 2012 as well. The goal is to build a SAFE and nice handling setup. My budget....well....same as most of you. :lol: Also am purchasing a set of John's street H1r bodywork for the look I like......he is also forwarding me the 420 page sponsor application for his race team since I am a gold supporter. :lol:

Many of you have gone before me and I could use all the input you can offer with my goal in mind. Old threads seem to point to shooting for a roughly 54" wheelbase and 100mm trail. Here are some of my preliminary musings

*plan to use a '74 set of trees and front end. I want to add a dampener back so those trees will have the bolt hole in place. I cleaned up the front on the KH a bit and the lower fork tubes are beat to hell, the tube caps have been beat on with a hammer, etc. I have plenty of late model H1 front spares so it would make sense to use them and it will be easier to do the EX adapter mod as well
*will stay with the 18" rear and go to an 18" front tire/wheel
*will use the tried and true BT45 combo....not sure which profile is better, 80 or 90
*KH swingarm looks a little beefier but I only have the one, pivot pin is the same so I could use an earlier one and I have spares in case I need to modify the arm somehow....also the KH rear axle is a different part# so I am not sure about compatibility with swapping swingarms/hubs between years?
*I would really like to leave it "open" through the frame (no sidecovers")....so I am debating placing a small AGM battery in the tail, mounting the iggy (hopefully one of Jim's fine units) under the seat and fabbing a nice looking oil tank
*find some cheaply available ebay rearsets from a common sportbike to use
*clip ons....I am thinking I will need some over size (length) fork tubes to have room for the clip ons and give some tweaking room for the front height
*just a tach of some variety and bicycle speedo
*EX500 caliper/master

I have the canvas......just conjuring up the finished product in my head. Thanks!!

Last edited by garand1944 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Children of the corn.....AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH......... :o :o :o :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:43 pm 

Awesome thread, I am subscribed, will be a few months behind you on a similar arc. Hope I have something to contribute along the way.

N.

I do vapor blasting! http://www.restocycle.com
Ikon Shocks: http://www.ikonshocksusa.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:29 pm 

Found it !!!!!!!!!!!

Naked

Yamahaha

FZR swinger fits like a glove. Just have to take the shim washer out from inside each of the dust caps.....use the KH pivot bolt and FZR axle. Sweet.

One odd thing. The KH has the proper trees, small hub with KH axle, 4 bolt disk. The caliper was finned like an older one....not smooth like most pics I see. I took the caliper from a '73 and bolted it right on. I thought something was different with the alignment to the rotor which kept you from using the H1 adapter plate and EX caliper? Looks to me like its same/same?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

garand1944 wrote:
Found it !!!!!!!!!!!

FZR swinger fits like a glove. Just have to take the shim washer out from inside each of the dust caps.....use the KH pivot bolt and FZR axle. Sweet.

One odd thing. The KH has the proper trees, small hub with KH axle, 4 bolt disk. The caliper was finned like an older one....not smooth like most pics I see. I took the caliper from a '73 and bolted it right on. I thought something was different with the alignment to the rotor which kept you from using the H1 adapter plate and EX caliper? Looks to me like its same/same?

The bolt spacing is different between the KH and few year earlier 500's. The front forks might have been changed out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:35 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
garand1944 wrote:
Found it !!!!!!!!!!!

The bolt spacing is different between the KH and few year earlier 500's. The front forks might have been changed out.

Could be....even though its rare anybody swaps anything on these bikes :lol: Even if the tubes were swapped I still thought the disk "spacing" was different. Since the smaller KH front hub and disk line up right with older forks I may just use them. Especially if one of the drilled 4 hole disks I have on a KZ650 mag wheel front will bolt to the KH hub.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:10 am 
Site Admin

The KZ650 disc will fit the KH wheel and it is thinner/lighter.
There are no alignment issues with wheel/fork swap just caliper bolt spacing between H1/KH.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:34 pm 

mraxl wrote:
The KZ650 disc will fit the KH wheel and it is thinner/lighter.
There are no alignment issues with wheel/fork swap just caliper bolt spacing between H1/KH.

Thanks Dale.....I misunderstood as usual.

Broke out the portable milling machine to un-monoshock the arm and take off the link tab from the top. Arm isn't to bad rashwise except for one spot. The rash ground off some of the "ridge" at the top. Other than tig weld to build it up is there another way? I think JB Weld will be to dark when its polished. I'm getting to old to be fashion conscious anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:04 pm 

Stripped down the KZ front today and nabbed those drilled rotors and axle. This leads to another swapping things around question.

The KZ forks are made like the KH forks I dont have.....the lower pinch point is wider and the axle is made to accomodate that. Verified the KZ axle/speedo drive and KH axle/speedo drive are identical. When installing the KH/KZ axle in the KH hub on the H1 forks the axle can "float" back and forth a bit, not centered or properly snug at either side of the lower pinch point. Since the speedo drive is actually the nut on the H1 axle and the nut/drive has a greater diameter than the rotor bolt patter on the KH hub I can't use the H1 axle. I really want to use the KH hub since its lighter and I have the drilled rotors.

I could use the KZ fork tubes but the lower and tube are both considerably longer so that is out. I could use the wider KZ lower pinch halves on the H1 forks which would center the axle but it looks like ass and I'm not sure it pinches the axle evenly/properly. Since I am planning on ditching the speedo drive anyway am I better off just making simple spacers to center/snug everything? Since the KH/KZ speedo drive is basically a spacer rather than the nut as on the H1 axle it seems like it could be done. Or, I could possibly just mill the offending amount of "extra" off the inner length of each nut? Maybe I'm chasing my tail but it seems like the axle should have no side to side float.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:26 am 

Tig welding is the only way to go to get rid of the rash if you want to polish it. You will be needing some tig welding done anyways when you put the shock mounts and brake arm tab on. I saw in the original post that you were looking for a 54" wheelbase, you will not be able to achive that with the fzr swingarm. If I remember right you will be around 57" using it.