Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: new bling
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:21 am 

I tried a Westach triple EGT gauge but that was too much information so I got a wideband O2 sensor and gauge and now I think I'll get a datalogger and tie the three EGT thermocouples plus the O2 and RPM into that. I'd really like an accelerometer and TPS to work out what is going on. Accelerometer is available, but I haven't worked out a TPS yet.

My plan is to use all that data to set up the jetting properly and then take it off. I can't possibly process all that amount of data in real time and ride a bike at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:06 pm 

I think I worked out how to mount a TPS. I finally noticed that the oil pump on my Suzook rotates through 90 degrees from open to closed and that's about what aTPS rotates through. Now I need to fabricate a simple mounting bracket and find a tall enough dome nut to convert into a drive nut for the TPS.

It looks like it should work and that way I don't need to but a PWK38 with TPS already built in. But for anyone going to 38mm carbs, that looks like the way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:42 pm 

That sure sounds like a fun project!
If you look close at my throttle, you can see my TPS... But of course no feedback. :mrgreen:

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:42 pm 

teazer wrote:
I think I worked out how to mount a TPS. I finally noticed that the oil pump on my Suzook rotates through 90 degrees from open to closed and that's about what aTPS rotates through. Now I need to fabricate a simple mounting bracket and find a tall enough dome nut to convert into a drive nut for the TPS.

It looks like it should work and that way I don't need to but a PWK38 with TPS already built in. But for anyone going to 38mm carbs, that looks like the way to go.

dome nut:- use a piece of hexagon metal the correct length and dril land tap all the way thru :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:37 am 

Thanks. That was my first thought - I have some "long hex nuts" here but the end is too fat to fit inside the delicate TPS switch I had lying around. It came off a GSXR600 stepper motor for the auxiliary throttles and since I have no earthly use for any of that, it was donated to the cause.

Turns out the dome nut didn't reach into the TPS far enough so I brazed a thin steel tube to the arm nut and cut a slot in the end of that. Seems to work like a charm.

I'll take some pics and post in the off chance it's of any interest to anyone. I did this to help set up jetting on a GT750 with CV carbs and wanted to see a couple of parameters to try to avoid that classic part throttle meltdown. Now it occurs to me that I could also use it with the Ignitech ignition system that I haven't got around to fitting yet. Hmm. Fully programmable 3 d ignition maps.

I have a nasty suspicion that a GT750 revs so low that it will not create any worthwhile improvements, but it's a challenge and keeps what's left of my brain cells active ;) :)