Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's talk reeds....
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

That is what I was refering to. You can mill off the back of the cylinder, build or machine boxes or graft some on then purchase reed blocks.

For all that Rog got 26.5 rwhp per cylinder.

My kit is almost a bolt on, comes complete and with medium porting makes 28 rwhp per cylinder. And with only 3 cylinders I can take off in 4th and she hits very hard.

It all comes down to how much time and money you want to spend...... :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:49 pm 

Thanks for that Vid Chris, its great to hear Roger's bike running on the dyno, that thing sounds really stout, especially at low rpm.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:05 pm 

Interesting stuff! I was pointing out how good reeds are at giving back some low down grunt to a peaky motor. The porting that Roger has on his bike is to Denco specs and is very tame.

I've recently ported a motor for drag racing and so the spec required was "Lots of Power!" The porting is quite fierce, it uses the bridged inlet cyls to give more piston support and some very expensive V-Force 3 reeds. He's not put it together yet but I bet it puts out well in excess of 100rwhp. As soon as it's completed, I will post the dyno runs on here.

I think it's absolutely fascinating just how much power you can get out of a two stroke with the correct balance of modifications. I must confess that the guy that designs my pipes and port specs is the very same guy that designed the KR3 GP motor for Team Roberts and has Degree's in Pipe Thermal Dynamics and Balance. I therefore cannot claim to be a Tuning God but just good at removing metal from where I'm told to! :lol:

I'm still convinced that reeds are great for a road bike.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

h2chris wrote:

I've recently ported a motor for drag racing and so the spec required was "Lots of Power!" The porting is quite fierce, it uses the bridged inlet cyls to give more piston support and some very expensive V-Force 3 reeds. He's not put it together yet but I bet it puts out well in excess of 100rwhp. As soon as it's completed, I will post the dyno runs on here.

Can't wait! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

I'm "old school", though there have been some very cool "updated" triples done, I just thing the "essence" of the triple is gone.

You can make a triple a total blast to ride, without huge forks and monoshocking, or a billet motor. Both which "to me" doesn't make it a triple anymore, just a "special". One could just get a TZ 250 and throw lights on it and you have a awsome bike all around.

The fun/cool part to me, is when you can "tail/pace" the newer bikes, and when you stop they can't believe you can do that on skinny tires, skinny forks and a 40 year old motor. Do it on a "special" and you get "well sure, you got modern kit".............. :roll:

"Just sayin"....... :eh:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:18 pm 

I totally agree with you John. It's so easy to lose what you call the "essence" of a triple if you go too far with the mods. My project bike has a nice set of Melber mag wheels which are period upgrades and are virtually stock size apart from the rear being a little wider. (19 x 3.25 and 18 x 140) I also have the skinny 36mm forks, bars, stock tank, seat, tail & side panels. I want my bike to look as stock as possible. My motor has 38mm Mikunis & reeds and is rubber mounted.

As much as I admire some of the amazing work done by some guys on here, for me it sort of takes away something when I see mono-shocked bikes with USD forks and super wide tyres.

I really like your new look 500 and also Carlos's H2. There are plenty of other bikes that have been modernised but retain the Old School look. I suppose I'm old fashioned at heart! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:24 pm 

I remember reading somewhere (might have been the UK Club Magazine) that it was possible to get over 60 HP per cylinder on gasoline and naturaly aspirated.
Think that works out to something around 5 HP per C.I.
Don't think that's been achieved on a 4-stroke yet including Formula 1.

Modern or not, that's kicking some serious a$$.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:23 pm 

Hi Jim,

that figure is not too far from the truth. It goes to show what amazing motors two-strokes are!

:D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:52 pm 

Hi Chris,
While I was loosely referring to the R&D efforts of Bill and Darren, I believe the sled guys might be making the biggest power.
Guy at our local track with a sled that runs low 9's with a 3-cylinder, 2-stroke with a billet case. Wonder how fast it would go with wheels instead of a rear track and skate board wheels on the skis.

Reasonaly sure that the most HP/CI is currently being made with a 2-stroke assuming gasoline / normal aspirated.
I find that amazing considering some of the major advancements for 4-strokes like 5 valves per cylinder, fuel injection, variable valve timing, completely programable ignition and fuel curves.

And inspite of all that; here we have a few dead beat drifters with some original ideas armed with bits of metal and carbon fiber. Combine that with an old 2-stroke design and some 70's reed valve designs and you guys are just making tons of power. How cool is that!
(note: I realize that McCullouch and others were using non-caged flappy fiberglass reeds well before the 70's but consider some of the early Yamaha styles much more effecient and durable)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:34 am 
Site Admin

h2chris wrote:
I totally agree with you John. It's so easy to lose what you call the "essence" of a triple if you go too far with the mods. My project bike has a nice set of Melber mag wheels which are period upgrades and are virtually stock size apart from the rear being a little wider. (19 x 3.25 and 18 x 140) I also have the skinny 36mm forks, bars, stock tank, seat, tail & side panels. I want my bike to look as stock as possible. My motor has 38mm Mikunis & reeds and is rubber mounted.

As much as I admire some of the amazing work done by some guys on here, for me it sort of takes away something when I see mono-shocked bikes with USD forks and super wide tyres.

I really like your new look 500 and also Carlos's H2. There are plenty of other bikes that have been modernised but retain the Old School look. I suppose I'm old fashioned at heart! :)

Nothing wrong with "old fashioned!" And thanks, it's great fun when guys know what they are looking at, but it's just "different"..... :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next