Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Let's talk reeds....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:38 pm 

Ok, I know there are some great options out there to convert an H1 500 motor to use reeds. I have not seen any of these conversions in person, so I am curious about a couple of things:

Looking at a stock H1 cylinder intake port, there isn't a lot of room in there for a reedcage. I know Aylor reeds require this area to be reworked (don't know how much) and others use a manifold "reed box" up stream of the cylinder.

My question is is there enough room to look into a motocross bike reedcage, like a CR80 or CR125? Do the reed conversions flow enough air to enable more horsepower? I've looked all over the internet for reedcage dimensions, but came up dry.

Post subject: Re: Let's talk reeds....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

The facts are:

It take quite a bit of machining to get "boxes" fitted.

Due to the large size of V blocks you need intake length so you can taper to the intake port size

Boxes or bolt on manifold boxes take up any room for air cleaners.

This mod adds a lot of area, decreasing crankcase compression

For best reed petal response, the reed tips need to be as close to the piston as possible, not a viable option with V boxes

Unless you are drag racing, bigger isn't always better

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:10 pm 

That's kind of what I thought.....the reed cage boxes would indeed add a lot of intake tract volume. Didn't think about air filter clearance. That could be a problem.

Somone needs to make new billet cases with a case reed induction :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

team fast wrote:
That's kind of what I thought.....the reed cage boxes would indeed add a lot of intake tract volume. Didn't think about air filter clearance. That could be a problem.

Somone needs to make new billet cases with a case reed induction :)

Why?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:53 pm 

Well, for all the reasons you cite above....case reed motors put the reeds closest to the crankcase. They allow for a more optimal intake tract, and they provide for the smallest case volume. Honda made the switch in 2002 on the CR-250 from Cylinder reed induction to case reed induction, bringing a lot of their GP bike techniques into the motorcross line.

If I had the time and the money, I would design up a set in a heartbeat. And new cylinders, without iron liners.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

team fast wrote:
Well, for all the reasons you cite above....case reed motors put the reeds closest to the crankcase. They allow for a more optimal intake tract, and they provide for the smallest case volume. Honda made the switch in 2002 on the CR-250 from Cylinder reed induction to case reed induction, bringing a lot of their GP bike techniques into the motorcross line.

If I had the time and the money, I would design up a set in a heartbeat. And new cylinders, without iron liners.

Or, you could get a TSS motor, or snowmobile motor. Kinda reinventing the wheel.......... :eh:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:51 pm 

Not reinventing...IMPROVING the wheel! :)

Making the wheel turn faster. Burn more gas. Stick to the road better.

Go round and round (on the bus)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, different philosophies. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:00 pm 

It'd be a fun project to marry a modern case reed sled motor to a case style gearbox... 8-)

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:05 pm 

Hi TeamFast,

in answer to your question, my friend and I devised a reed conversion using small billet boxes and Banshee reeds on his H1. Because the boxes are fixed deep into the cylinder with a bit of machining, there is plenty of room for foam filters or the like. Before the conversion, his bike had a vitual "On/Off" powerband with hardly any power below 6k. After the reed con, it now pulls from almost idle and is SO much smoother and tractable. The amazing thing is it still retains a killer hit! We tried it on a dyno and managed to get 106rwhp out of it with no problems. Please bear in mind though that this H1 has been made into a 4-cyl. Even so, I think that the conversion works really well. I'm doing one at the moment and will post more details about it when it's completed. Here's the dyno run:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE4oMF50XOo

Chris.

Last edited by h2chris on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.