Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Let's talk reeds....
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:57 am 

Jim C wrote:
When it revs, it sounds like the ricochet from a wild west rifle.

too funny, thats a dead nuts on description! haha :D :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:47 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
You got the compression fixed, so is it dyno time yet? :thumbup:

For your two stroke geeks
when i had the bike in the garage i kicked that thing over till i was blue in the face and never could get the compression up to where it was supposed to be on all three even thou i had cced the head all the same and the squish was was all the same. I did this with the carbs off but the reed valves were in. I skimmed as much as i dare off the Ritchie heads but something was still not quit right. Then i found i had an oil leak on one of the cylinder studds so i decided to bite the bullet and strip the engine. I also wanted to redo the sealing of the reed boxes from the inside so i could get rid of all the bloody silicon sealent i had on the outside. I rebuilt the engine and pressure tested it to see if i had any leaks and found all to be tight. While the engine was on the bench i cced the cylinders with the heads on and got the following, #1 18cc #2 17.1 #3 16.9, when i did a compression check i got
#1 140 #2 150 #3 150. i expected #1 to be lower as it was .9cc bigger than the other two.
I skimmed the head to remove the .9cc now all three are 150psi. I could have taken it up a bit more but the pistons are not fully broken in so i will probably gain a little.
NOW what i found strange is even thou i did not do any machining to the heads from when the bike was together before why was it higher now?
What i did not mention was i replaced my Boysen Rad valves reeds with V Force reeds. So im guesing that the Boysens are a lot more restrictive. This may also have been the reason i could not stop my plugs running dirty even tho i kept leaning out the carbs. Hopefully when i run it again the V Force will make an improvement.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:32 pm 

Henry,
The only thing I can offer is that I found very little difference in performance on my KDX 200 with Boysen or V-Force reeds although the latter had slighly better throttle response down low and under load

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

glad you are making progress, let us know how it goes.....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:41 pm 

JimC: that suggests the reeds -even the non-Vforce ones- are not restricting power.
Must be something elese holding her back. :idea:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:31 pm 

Leo wrote:
JimC: that suggests the reeds -even the non-Vforce ones- are not restricting power.
Must be something elese holding her back. :idea:

Leo
i only changed one thing on the engine ( changed the reeds) to get the differance. The only other thing i can think of is the months in the gym have made my leg stronger and i can now kick the bike over stronger lol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

Did you check the compression just before you changed the reeds? Maybe the rings had seated? I have done with/without testing on mine and didn't see any difference.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:28 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
Did you check the compression just before you changed the reeds? Maybe the rings had seated? I have done with/without testing on mine and didn't see any difference.

from tearing the engine down to putting it back together i dought i had more than 2 mles on the rings. I know when i removed the pistons the rings were not stuck. It was a bugger putting the pistons back in as my cylinders do not have a chamfer at the bottom to act a a lead in, so i know the rings were loose in the grooves.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

magee wrote:
Ja-Moo wrote:

from tearing the engine down to putting it back together i dought i had more than 2 mles on the rings. I know when i removed the pistons the rings were not stuck. It was a bugger putting the pistons back in as my cylinders do not have a chamfer at the bottom to act a a lead in, so i know the rings were loose in the grooves.

Sometimes things just work out strange. You can check it next time you pull a reed block, but I would seriously doubt it's the reeds.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:41 pm 

to quote Erv Kanamoto , i dont worry about why it got better all i bothered about is that it is:
Not sure if that was his exact wording but the jist is still the same.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6