Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:30 pm 

I thought I would chronicle my engine rebuild project on here. This is my first triple - its an H1F 1975 basket case. I plan on doing a solid rebuild on the engine, and then modifying it to my performance tastes (which seem to be in the stage 2 to stage 3 area).

I tend to approach things analytically so my goal is to model the engine using MOTA software and develop a set of pipes and then fabritcate them. I also intend to look into using reed valves, and re-work the heads to a more suitable combustion chamber profile. For the ignitiion, I think I am interested in the Powerdynamo rotor/stator coupled to a programmable Zeeltronics unit. Has anyone done this? I used programmable ignitions on my racing karts to great advantage.

I started by removing the motor from the bike, and then tearing it down to see what I have to work with.

I used a harbor freight soda blaster to clean up the engine cases and the cylinders. I must say, soda blasting is an impressive process to get things clean! It is gentle on metals, biodegradable, and cleans up with water. Here are some before/after pics of the cylinders:

And the carbs:

That was perhaps 15 minutes of work with the soda blaster to clean everything up. I definately prefer working on a clean engine!

Next, I decided to fabricate a workstand to make it easier to work on and around the engine when measuring port timing, removing/installing components, etc. So I made it from 1x1" square tubing which I TIG brazed together.

Now I can work on a stable, well supported engine.

More later.

-erik

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Great start Eric! Keep the pics coming......... :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:56 pm 

Hi Eric, nice stand. Have you seen Yogi's version? I was thinking of making an adapter like his for my Harbor Freight engine stand.

http://www.kawasakitriplesworldwide.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59839&p=451665&hilit=+engine+stand+#p451665

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:03 pm 

No, I hadn't seen that. But since I don't own an engine stand right now (due to shop space limitations) I wasn't thinking about that type of solution. I think its a great idea, and certainly easy enough to fab!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:21 pm 

...you'll be done in no time.

Surprised you did that well with the soda blaster! I also bought a harbor freight one a while back when it was on sale and tried it on my engine case...but I just couldn't get it to work right or clean good enough...and it was a giant mess!! Good to see you got yours to work for you.

Look forward to seeing your build progress.
Good luck!