Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:18 pm 

Looney, 40mm is the OD for the VMs (30mm-34mm),right?
So my current rubber couplings would work, but the metal adaptors/spigots are matched to 32mm ID where the carb touches.
Would still need a new adapter and reshape 34mm ID I think....otherwise it would restrict to 32mm right at the carb.

Lotus- Good to know about your first hand experience with the OKO's- will stay away! Lots of conflicting info out there...some boards love them, some hate I guess.

The smaller mouthed 34's from the XLT seem to be plentiful and super cheap...good deal for sure. But if parts do not interchange then I'm back to what I have now... don't want to deal with it.

Walms- the Keihin PJ's are nice. But looks like they are easy $100+ ea. used now.

Coming from an old used and abused set of unknown model mikuni 32's, I'm leaning towards a brand new set...just to start fresh.
The 34's are only a few bucks more than the 32's, so that would be OK if they fit without a whole lot of work?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:27 pm 

Yes, the spigot ODs of the 30/32/34 all appear to be all 40mm.

The actual ID of the bore of the 34s at that point is around 35mm as I recall. The small step downstream of the carb to manifold you describe will have very little performance difference (for most riding) if you simply plug in the 34 (unless you are trying for max. RWHP :D ). You can attend to this step/open up your intake tract at a later time too.....

If you are considering new VMs the VM34-168s come with jetting/slides/needles ( The 168's Q2 needle jets may be rich. prolly need more like a P6 or P5) that are in the range of what your 500 will be able to run (as per what I saw listed in the Sudco catalog).

http://www.sudco.com/mikuni2.html

What ever VM 34 you find be sure it is fitted with a 3.3 float valve (pressure fed sled carbs are smaller)

J

Last edited by Looney Cylinders on Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:33 pm 

A little tip for searching for used carbs, if you want to save some money...
Search for the model of vehicle they came on. The seller won't know they are as valuable. ;)
In the PJ's case, "CR 125 carb" will get you in the $60 range...
I'm guessing this is true the VM's as well.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:49 pm 

The only downside of the Keihins is the HORRIBLE parts support. They DO look neat though! :D Walms, what was the longest period you waited for parts? :( What is the cost of your needles? I believe you have to work with a fixed needle jet too, which takes one tuning/jetting option out of the equation.

Mikuni VM parts are of modest price and usually quite available from many suppliers.

J

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:36 pm 

Last summer was brutal for parts out of Japan because of the tsunami... I believe everyone including mikuni was the same...
Canadian keihin distributors are farging iceholes, they refuse to make an order for carb brass... I ended up convincing Sudco of this and they agreed to sell to me direct... All good, except the guy at Sudco told me he didn't know how much longer they were going to support keihin brass sales because of lack of interest.
So on one hand, right now is good but not sure how long it will last.

Edit, you are correct on the fixed needle jet... Not too impressed with that one.
If the used carb was ever abused in this area, the carb would be toast IMO... :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:15 pm 

Looney Cylinders wrote:
Walms wrote:
Cody, I looked up your carbs from the XLT and they appear to be the carbs that LC says to avoid... Maybe you 2 can sort out the difficult parts to find for these carbs and also there is a question as to the bell of the carb being smaller... Is this a big performance issue or is it just a visual thing???

The small body 34s have unique slides (idle stop and locating groove is opposite to the more common large body carbs). As such it may be difficult to get different slides for the small body carbs if the CA is wrong (as Cody has indicated).

The performance difference between the two carbs at WFO is probably small, but the large intake mouth looks kewl. ;)

J

As Looney said.. ALL other internal parts are interchangeable (needlejets, jet needles, mains, pilots, etc).. The slides are the only "oddball" thing about them. I like the fact that they have a small "bell/intake mouth" as they look almost like stock H2 VM30's.
and I highly doubt there is any difference in performance between largebody and these? I dont see how? They both have a 34mm bore they are breathing through... If anything, it could be argued that since these are minutely CLOSER to the piston, they are more "responsive" than a larger bodied carb who's pickup is a bit further away? (just thinking out loud there..lol)
And I also doubt that Mikuni would make only a 2.0 slide for them, since sled guys are always "tuning" for the Nth degree of performance.. Im sure Sudco offers other sizes. I just never checked into it cause my bike runs fine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:33 pm 

Conversely the larger bell mouth might give a better lead in for the air to the venturi and allow more total flow at WFO. (kinda like a built in velocity stack) :?

J

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:57 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:27 pm 

^^^^ Another carb maker's large bell mouth ;)

J

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:30 am 

Looney Cylinders wrote:
Conversely the larger bell mouth might give a better lead in for the air to the venturi and allow more total flow at WFO. (kinda like a built in velocity stack) :?

J

valid point..

thankfully, my bike never sees WFO, as it is mostly ridden to church by my elderly grandmother.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next