Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:36 pm 

UPDATE-Purchased and installed brand new shinny VM34-168's and a new Kawasaki throttle cable.

The good-
- runs amazingly better- no changes. Need to do full ride/test still and adjust, but impressed thus far.
- Look nice :thumbup:

The Bad-
- had to take off the neutral indicator switch off- was hitting the bottom of center carb float bowl drain bolt...was causing it to angle up. I also cut the boot/adapters about an inch or so- moving the carb right at/touching the manifold, but it wasn't enough to keep the neutral switch.
- Getting the fuel line on was a PITA! Larger size inlet.

Scott- saw your comment about the cable /chokes in my other post, and yes, I will need to do....or at least the individual black/pull type. The lever types that came with it are right against the fins and had to remove the center one all together, wouldn't fit- was hitting?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:52 pm 

From what I saw posted at Sudco I figured the -168s would be close on the jetting.. Your mounting setup and carbs looks almost identical to mine. My carb's end is now .75+ away from the cylinder manifold surface (center carb's top against fins), which is slightly closer than the usual adapter block and rubber manifold (the closer to the bore the better). I got so pissed off with leaking gaskets I JB welded the darn adapter manifolds to the cylinders!!

I too cannot run the neutral switch and had to cut a notch in the sprocket cover to clear the brass nut on the bottom of the bowl.

You may want to remove most of the plastic tubing. If the vent (top tube) gets pinched disaster looms. :( :( The plastic also tends to melt :shock:

Keep an eye on Cody's jetting thread regarding ping coming down from WOT. I'm running a 6DP1 needle/p6 needle at the moment but will be going to a P5 next (presently rich down low likely due to UFOs)...

J

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:38 am 

Hi,i have sold quite a few Mikuni vm 34s ( round slide) with new intakes ,and filters,on Ebay.Each set is cleaned and checked for worn-out components.i could sell without filters,if desired.Thes carbs are the largest size available for the H2 without intake mods.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:07 am 

3c4ever wrote:
Thes carbs are the largest size available for the H2 without intake mods.

When I got VM34s for my H2, and used the Mikuni rubber adapters made for them, I needed to do some port matching because there was an obvious step where the port runner was smaller than the adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:27 pm 

scrambler73 wrote:
a little secret. Watch ebay for polaris XLT583 VM34's. They are a smaller body than the regular VM32/34 ................
The only thing about the XLT carbs is that the slides are reversed from the standard VM32's/34's, so I was stuck with what came with the carbs. ......

Small body carbs are made of zinc and are as heavy as all get out compared to aftermarket aluminum carbs and of course they come with 1.5mm float valves for sleds with fuel pumps. Either fit a pump or replace the valves with something larger.

Slides are OEM and I guess it might be possible to buy a different set through a Polaris dealer, but that may be spendy. Increasing the cutaway can always be done with a file or Bridgeport mill or an angle grinder :shock: . The rest of the brass is all stock type stuff.

My set including replacement brass and gaskets was just over $100, so they are a cheap alternative.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:11 pm 

Thread back from the dead.....

I came across this set of carbs, was told they came off a H1 - They appear to have 250 mains, possibly a alcohol engine? VM30-83's I believe.

6F5 needle, 40 pilot, 2.5 slide, seems all the "stock" stuff

I dunno, thought they were cool.

Solvents and Steve do not mix, having sprayed them off quickly was enough for me to feel like crap. I used to do gym floors and now solvents make my life a hell.....

Anyway, here are some pictures, the Tommasseli throttle sure looks cool.

All the pictures here, hope to have these on eBay ($99.99 seems like a fair opening price) as you read this.

http://s1167.photobucket.com/albums/q63 ... =slideshow

Wish me luck, and any input welcomed - I've been told these will not fit a 500 and only fit the 750 - anyone know for sure? :crazy:

Maybe it's just the neutral switch issue, as mentioned....

Here is the listing if anyone is interested in them - http://www.ebay.com/itm/130806409377?ss ... 1558.l2649

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:51 pm 

motohorseman wrote:
Thread back from the dead.....

I came across this set of carbs, was told they came off a H1 - They appear to have 250 mains, possibly a alcohol engine? VM30-83's I believe.

6F5 needle, 40 pilot, 2.5 slide, seems all the "stock" stuff

I dunno, thought they were cool.

Solvents and Steve do not mix, having sprayed them off quickly was enough for me to feel like crap. I used to do gym floors and now solvents make my life a hell.....

Anyway, here are some pictures, the Tommasseli throttle sure looks cool.

All the pictures here, hope to have these on eBay ($99.99 seems like a fair opening price) as you read this.

http://s1167.photobucket.com/albums/q63 ... =slideshow

Wish me luck, and any input welcomed - I've been told these will not fit a 500 and only fit the 750 - anyone know for sure? :crazy:

Maybe it's just the neutral switch issue, as mentioned....

Here is the listing if anyone is interested in them - http://www.ebay.com/itm/130806409377?ss ... 1558.l2649

I believe I have the same carbs on my S3. those are the stock jets that come in them. :thumbup:

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1
06 Kaw 750 Vulcan (wife’s bike)
12 Yammi vstar 250 (wife’s bike)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:12 pm 

scrambler73 wrote:
Ive got VM34's on my H1 and it runs nice. With the longer intake rubbers (see battleaxe's posts on the subject), the bike pulls fine off idle and hard up top....and this is with Denco's 75HP porting. A stock-port H1 would run even better down low.

a little secret. Watch ebay for polaris XLT583 VM34's. They are a smaller body than the regular VM32/34 and fit nicer in the space behind the cylinders. I purchased the ones on my bike for something ludicrous like $65.00 (FOR ALL THREE) + shipping. So well under $100.00 to the door...

I already had the necessary brass.

The only thing about the XLT carbs is that the slides are reversed from the standard VM32's/34's, so I was stuck with what came with the carbs. Thankfully, this bike likes a rich slide (2.0), so it worked out fine.

Mikuni VM's are the best bang for your buck on these old bikes......

Hi, i have been selling quite a few sets of the 34 mm mikuni (small mouth),my sets include the intake manifolds and the cone mesh filters;Probably 30 or 35 sets were sold,with almost all positive feebbacks.