Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:29 pm 

Hi

I'm planning to fit Speedhut (Revolution) gauges on my H1E, and I'm going for the GPS version speedometer. That way I will get rid of both tach and speedo cable and don't have to wire up a sensor for the speedometer. I do believe I can fit the 3 3/8 inch gauges in the late H1 instrument pod.

http://www.speedhut.com/

Has anybody here done this, and if so, maybe want to share some info?

Regards
PK

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:15 pm 

Not exactly what you are asking but the SpeedHut line was discussed a bit here

http://kawi2strokes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1715&hilit=speedhut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:31 pm 

I think they look superb - I'm clueless as to whether they would work or not, but they have a nice clean retro look.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:35 pm 

I run a single Speedhut 4in tach on my H1A (with battery/distributor CDI). Try to rubber mount the tach to keep as much vibration away for the unit. I'm starting to see the face buzz within the unit on mine. I'm sure my bent crank did not do the tach any good either! :?

A few tips from my post from another thread to get electric tachs to work on these old bikes:

The issue which cause problems is excessive ambient RF noise from the HT circuit of the iggy and/or noise within the signal circuit to the unit. The first thing to do is to try to clean up this input signal. Jim at Lakeserve makes a tach adapter that connects in series into one of the coil wires low tension circuit. This is a purely inductive device (has no effect on power to the coil) with a built in zener diode that clips the voltage to about 12V. I run this unit on my H1A.

Walms and Jim both run the Veypour digital units. As far as I know the above is the only mod Walms has done (H1D/H2 iggy). Walms does have the KH400 metal shielded spark plug caps though.

MSD also makes a tach adapter that it too is an inductive device that also clamps onto the low tension coil supply. This one however triggers a battery supplied spike to the tach.

If the above is not enough the next step is to install Ferrite beads on all wires (especially the sense wire) leading into the tach. Try to get the larger beads (about 1.5 inches long) and you can get two or more turns through the core. Last reported Jim runs with his tach adapter and ferrite beads on his Veypour setup with good results on his H2.

If the above combo is still not enough you will be forced to run resistor plugs. The R plugs have 5K resistance. NGK states the closer to the actual spark the resistor is placed, the better the RF suppression. Nev Lush has in the past installed NGK 5K ohm resistor plug caps on his race bikes.

I have been running the R plugs or plug caps without issue for at least two seasons. I still occasionally have the tach act up (goes erratic WFO top of fourth) and may have to go to 1K caps with the R plugs (H1A distributor CDI).

J

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:26 pm 

PS. Walms has just posted a couple of pics of my 4in. tach. As previously stated a custom 0-12,000 face (with additional graphics) is available on request:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1715&start=10

J

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:15 am 

OK, thanks guys.

I can see that RF noise might become a problem, but still possible to overcome. Hopefully the late H1 ignition is less noisy than the early one. I’ve been running BR9HIX plugs for years now so I already have R plugs. I will order some ferrite rings and/or snap on noise suppressors at the same time I order the gauges.

PK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:09 pm 

I use the vapour tack, i added some resisters, capacitor and a coil to stop interferance. The problem i have now is the tack goes off the chart even tho the bike does not sound it is reving that high. Ther is a prameter that you have to choose for how maby engine revs per spark. I have that set on one. Has any body else seen this problem.?

thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:48 pm 

magee wrote:
I use the vapour tack, i added some resisters, capacitor and a coil to stop interferance. The problem i have now is the tack goes off the chart even tho the bike does not sound it is reving that high. Ther is a prameter that you have to choose for how maby engine revs per spark. I have that set on one. Has any body else seen this problem.?

thanks

If Jim doesn't chime in shoot him a pm (he runs a Vapour on his H2, which is sorted).

J

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:18 pm 

Ding-Dong. It's confusing, there is a Vapor, made by Trail Tech, and a Veypor, made by Nonlinear Engineering Inc.. I have the Veypor.

I made some prototype inductive pickups or "tach adapters" and probably have one or two left. If there's a demand, I'd make a bigger batch, but the demand has been very low. The unit is a very small plastic box that plugs in line with the red wire to the coil of an H2. There's a ground wire, and the signal wire to the tach. The red wire goes in and out of the box without connecting to anything, and there's a coil that inductively samples a little of the current in the wire. It has no noticeable effect on the power to the ignition coil, and makes a clean 12V pulse output.

If anyone wants more information, please use the email button, not the PM button. PMs are hard to keep organized.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:02 pm 

oops, it not a Vapor but an Acewell, i should have looked at the box and not relied on my old memory.