Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:13 am 

Very nice Mark, but the production units should be glow in the dark GREEN! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:25 am 

I could see this as a seller when cast in aluminum maybe with fins top and bottom ,how long it lasts in plastic is questionable with the motor heat.
A 100 sets to start (IMO)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:45 am 

Depends on what they are made out of. if urethane, sure, any color can be doen in reality but this is not what i do for a living nor is it my intention to mass produce them. I may make one set and say *uck it. Aluminum would be good, but fins arent necessary as there has been a full analysis on this design and its plenty strong even in abs. Urethane can be had harder than car tires for casting or soft as butter, finding the correct stiffness is in process. Right now thinking we are going to start with astiffness of Shore 80A.

If aluminum (or a zinc alloy) it will still be very strong. like said, its an experiment and if it works i may sell a few sets to cover costs of making my own personal stock, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:50 pm 

Mmm. 65 -70 crank hp. I am thinking 70+ rear wheel from the S2. Can do 70 odd now with no reeds. With reeds a 34mm carb may be used I think and be easier to tune. :-) Very cool however Mark. I like it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:54 am 

Neville, well if it gets opened up sure but right now the port will flow a 30 mm carb . We shall see, I have no doubt you can do it. But a yz cage can def flow enough for 34's and the nombers you are talking about.

As an update the first set will be cast oit of aluminum/zinc alloy . Mold is being made as we speak. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:22 am 

Will these same cages clear the fins on a 400? You know where this is going... 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:37 am 

should clear a 400. keep in mind, sourcing the reeds and intakes will be on the user if i do sell them. (intakes and reeds are easily available).

looking at possibly $300 a set of 3 adapters, maybe less unfinished. (faces milled and tapping not done).

Like said, no plan to go 'into production' but if they work well i may make a few extra sets.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:07 pm 

moving forward.. i just got the first pic of the first protoype made of formed aluminum. casting/printing was gettign out of hand and the material and costs werent feasible.

The flanges and sheet is laser/water cut and hand welded. I should have the first set of 3 tomorrow. i plan on doing a base dyno run on the S2 as she sits now, then chagning the intakes and s3 carbs for the reeds/vm28s and doing another run with no other change. none whatsoever. will be interesting to see the reults.

IF these are feasible to work out, they will be around 360-375 for a set of 3 if i sell any. direct bolt on to all s1, s2, s3, h1. results to follow. like said.. this is the FIRST one made, ever. the white one is the original design printed. pretty, but not strong enough as the polycarb mixture i planned on using isnt easy to print.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:23 pm 

Very cool

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:48 pm 

just got the call. the first 3 are done, one is a bit off so its being remade but should have em in my grubby hands tonight or tomorrow. good enough to test... now to get the baseline dyno reading. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next