Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:07 pm 

Well, I finally got around to painting and installing the repaired left-hand chamber Jim sent about a month ago...The bike is now once again finished.

As you can imagine, the pipe looks brand new... Absolutely PERFECT repair where a new center/belly section was fabbed and welded in.

The final "fix" happened last night. My friend Darren (Paintless Dent Guy) stopped over and took care of the dent in the gastank. Another flawless repair. He's been doing PDR for almost 20 years now and its pretty amazing to watch a master in action.

Basically, the only things that still have any evidence of being replaced is the "used" headlight rim (Ill find/buy another NOS one eventually), rash on the end of the left footpeg rubber, slightly different wrinkle texture on the left gauge pod, and a "hint" of a scuff on the seat. Its a Miracle this thing went down as soft as it did. I still have some rash on my right leg that refuses to heal though.. lol

If the weather cooperates (STOP RAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), Ill take her out for another shake down run. stay tuned.

pic taken today. 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:11 pm 

Nice bike.

What year is your Chevy 10? I am doing a service truck for myself right now, 1964 Chevy C30 1-ton flatbed, dually, two speed rear end, granny low trans, and I just installed an old school GMC 305E V6 in place of the blown rod 5 cylinder inline 292.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

Love the steering damper......... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:41 pm 

the truck is a '65. Pretty clean Arkansas truck... Currently has a tired 350/350 combo, but still runs and drives nice. This was also originally a 292/3 in tree truck. I wanted to find something that my family and I could actually drive to the local car shows, run for ice cream and NOT be afraid to haul stuff in it. Its a truck and will be treated like a truck.
Took me a couple of years to find something this solid and in my pricerange. These early-mid '60's Chevs are starting to bring stupid $, and here in Minnesota anything over 3 years old is starting to rust out. My last few "drivers" have been purchased off of ebay from the southern states....
Thanks to the help of a couple of friends/board members (oddly enough both named "Rick" :lol: ), this one finally ended up in my driveway.
Even though the best I can get out of her is about 11 mpg (low gearing), I still find myself hopping in it to run around town more than any other vehicle.

and yes Mr. Aylor.. that steering damper will hopefully be my new bestest friend. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:10 pm 

Nice to see you have it all fixed up again! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:00 pm 

of all the triples ive seen online and in real life that one is one of the top 5 coolest bikes ever! its just perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:56 pm 

Fantastic machine, I remember some discussion about this on the other board, a wipeout over train tracks set you back if I recall correctly?
What are some of the features here?
Later H1 engine, denco top end?
Reeds or just an adaptor plate? VM30's or 34's?
Works rear shocks?
Love that front fender.
Oh yeah and the truck ain't bad either. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:35 pm 

givr wrote:
Fantastic machine, I remember some discussion about this on the other board, a wipeout over train tracks set you back if I recall correctly?
What are some of the features here?
Later H1 engine, denco top end?
Reeds or just an adaptor plate? VM30's or 34's?
Works rear shocks?
Love that front fender.
Oh yeah and the truck ain't bad either. :)

thanks!

Engine has '74 H1e bottom end (cause its rubbermounted!!!!) with Denco 75HP roadrace ported topend (heads/cyls). Carbs are "small body" VM34's in denco adapter blocks. I have an actual set of Denco-modified VM34's, but they are both taller and have a longer intake track, which causes the main jet cap in the float bowl to rub on the cases and neutral switch and doesn't give enough space for the rubber intake elbows.
I had an "oddball" VM34 in my box-o-spare-carbs and after figuring out what it was off of (XLT 580 Polaris) I picked this set up.
I port matched the rubber intake manifolds to the aluminum blocks to the intakes just to clean up the little "steps". Not sure if it does much, but it was a long winter.

Works rear shocks and modified original stainless fender and brace.

and yeah, about 20 miles into the maiden voyage, crossed a set of tracks, instant tank-slapper pitched me off. Once I was off, the bike found "center" and ghost rid itself to a gentle (lol) low side which took out the handlebars, gauge pod, iggy cover, shifter, and a few other bits and bobs.
Have since fitted the new hydraulic damper, and went over every nut and bolt with a fine tooth comb..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:38 pm 

You did a great job on the bike after the railroad incident. Glad to hear you weren't hurt in all that fracas.

How much work did the S series chassis need for the H1 engine? I'm thinking doing a well braced KH400 chassis with a nice, utility 130/140 horse H2 engine, just something for street, nothing fancy.

I hear you about the prices of these trucks, they are getting right up there. I visit the 60/66 boards on both chevytalk.org and The 1947-Present Chevy Truck sites, only use the 6066guy's site for reference, as their board members are more than a bit elitist. My truck came to me free from my pal, E.R. Looney (YES, that IS his name). His son was just not saavy in getting the diff into high range, and NOT driving it in low range at 80 mph (the low range on the 2 speed rear is 4.73:1, OUCH). I got the truck for free, had to go 60 miles to trailer it back here. Not bad condition, door skins need replaced, will do soon.

The 305E V6 came from another truck, 1965 half ton Chevy Fleetside, only had 4,000 miles on it. I helped my friend put the 350 in, and he gave me the entire engine package. Eventually, I'll probably EFI this V6, someone has to be crazy enough to do it.

Both the truck and engine were free, the rest is in excellent condition, truck only has 65,000 miles on it. So far, total costs are right at a couple hundred bucks. I just ordered some stuff from LMC Truck this morning.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

H2RTuner wrote:

How much work did the S series chassis need for the H1 engine? I'm thinking doing a well braced KH400 chassis with a nice, utility 130/140 horse H2 engine, just something for street, nothing fancy.

It's a early H1 chassis Dave, and the H2/S2 has been done a few times, ruins the bike.