Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

sawracer wrote:
Man, I'm beside myself that I own one. Permanent modification turns my stomach! I would have to have a different junk frame to play with. But if I put many more miles on it, it will probably crack and become junk.

My motto is "stock is a crock"...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:47 pm 

Doing the frame mods is the way to go, and, all the ones I ever saw that "vibrated badly" had loose engine mounting bolts, and/or carbs way out of balance. Re-torqueing the engine mount bolts stopped a lot of the vibration in the early solid mounted engine chassis.

All the H2R cases had narrow bolt lugs and a simple lord mounting setup, rubber on the side of the engine mount lug, solid through the actual; hole. We had to set the distance up carefully, no positive distance stops between frame lugs. This stopped the engine from traveling back and forth, up and down, but let it float in the chassis side to side.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:28 pm 

I used to think of welds as fairly permanent. Then I worked at a place that had a couple good welders working there. When something was welded in the wrong place, or someone decided the part shouldn't be welded, the welds would be ground off, the part removed, any low spots filled,and the evidence neatly ground away and finished. One of the guys would even weld assemblies to the iron welding table if he was afraid the parts might shift. Then he'd weld them and grind the assembly off the table.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:47 am 

67lotus49 wrote:
I would like to see pictures of the modified frame.

www.kawasakitriplesuk.com/phpbb2/viewto ... 2&start=10

Gary T

Last edited by scouse on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:02 pm 

I did what Jim did and put keen serts in the cases. But i had the original engine mouts cut off.
New mounts were made then i bolted the new mounts to the engine first, the engine was then placed in the frame and then the engine plates were welded into postion. The engine is now a tight fit between the engine mounting plates.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:58 pm 

I am one of those guys that welded parts to the table, lol! I guess what I mean is it can be a slippery slope. I guess I just have too much "poor boy" in my roots to purposely cut up a clean example of a collector bike. I spent a fortune on a sports car once and I was so damn scared of it getting scratched or my son kicking the upholstery in the back seat I really never enjoyed it. I guess I'm not rich enough At heart to not worry about tearing up nice stuff. The car is gone and I now drive a ten year old truck that I even let him eat in lol! Didn't mean to sidetrack the thread with my OCD! Any pics of these frame mods?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:33 pm 

sawracer wrote:
I am one of those guys that welded parts to the table, lol! I guess what I mean is it can be a slippery slope. I guess I just have too much "poor boy" in my roots to purposely cut up a clean example of a collector bike. I spent a fortune on a sports car once and I was so damn scared of it getting scratched or my son kicking the upholstery in the back seat I really never enjoyed it. I guess I'm not rich enough At heart to not worry about tearing up nice stuff. The car is gone and I now drive a ten year old truck that I even let him eat in lol! Didn't mean to sidetrack the thread with my OCD! Any pics of these frame mods?

see my link above

Gary T

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:29 pm 

A good crank does make a difference, regarding vibration, and keeping the engine mount bolts tight is important. Years ago I substituted the bolts for beefier items, and doubled up on the top rear-mount plates, and that all seemed to help. And as Dave said earlier, get the carbs all doing the same thing!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:54 pm 

Well, I've got the crank rebuilt, so that's covered. I've only got my engine bolted down with the front and two lower mounting positions, not the rear-top. I suppose this could be contributing to it. Most likely my main source of vibes is from carbs not quite set up right. I think I need to check my compression again though, seems like my two outside cylinders are at 145-150 psi, middle is around 130-135ish.

Otherwise, I've got some ideas on rubber mounting in the frame. Does anyone have a link to the kit out of germany?

03 cbr600rr
80 kz750 ltd
94 pw50

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:58 am 

hard-to-find-parts.de/pd1271427127.htm?categoryId=22

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next