Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:31 pm 

Well this is the final wreckout of this top end before bringing it to the gap. Monday I put a solid 40 miles on the bike, 15 of it solid at 70mph, 0-50 stop and go driving the rest of the time and here's the pics. Top end looks like it's burning good, a little rich still so it's leaving some soot in the center of the piston, other than that all looks fine. I have some 3.0 slides due here tomorrow to see if I can sort out this rich problem before the gap. The carberation is close but I will keep at it till I find the right combo.

Head removed

This one seems to show the deck height I'm running. It's up there.

Ring wear ridge

Boost ports and port height at the transfers. You can see the crown is just at the bottom of the transfers.

Cylinder still has come cross hatching. Above the ring edge, the cross hatching is still more pronounced.

To be honest, I'm pleased with it's outcome. Pulls good, runs decent, definitely better power especially in the upper range after 6k. There is a few things I'd have probably done different now I look back on it, like take another mill off the top of the intake, only decked 1.5 mill off, and move the boost ports up. They open a couple degrees further down than the stock transfers but not much.

John, I do want to say thanks for the outstanding support on the reed kit and answering all the PMs I sent. :mrgreen: I had lots of questions and you didn't mind talking. The stage 2 was some work but I'm glad it's in there now it's done. The bike breathes good, has a strong pulse, and you know, I dont remember seeing oil collecting on the airbox side of the carb from the premix. ;) I definitely think it was worth the added time and expense to get those in. Outstanding support there. :thumbup:

God willing, we'll see ya at the gap around Sunday. :wave:

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1
06 Kaw 750 Vulcan (wife’s bike)
12 Yammi vstar 250 (wife’s bike)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:34 am 
Site Admin

usernameandpassword wrote:
and move the boost ports up. They open a couple degrees further down than the stock transfers but not much.

John, I do want to say thanks for the outstanding support on the reed kit and answering all the PMs I sent. :mrgreen: I had lots of questions and you didn't mind talking. The stage 2 was some work but I'm glad it's in there now it's done. The bike breathes good, has a strong pulse, and you know, I dont remember seeing oil collecting on the airbox side of the carb from the premix. ;) I definitely think it was worth the added time and expense to get those in. Outstanding support there. :thumbup:

God willing, we'll see ya at the gap around Sunday. :wave:

You are welcome Richard, I believe in customer support. :thumbup: And there is a very important reason the added boosts ports are lower than the main transfers, that's why I have them open later.

And it may be the picture, but the port windows look sharp, they were chamfered I hope.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:57 pm 

Gast did the chamfering and it looks good close up. Probably just the illusion. I ran my finger across them all and feel he did a good job on them. He said 'double chamfering' referring to two angles, said that was the proper way, if it was me one bevel and it would have been good. :thumbup: I trust his work.

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1
06 Kaw 750 Vulcan (wife’s bike)
12 Yammi vstar 250 (wife’s bike)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7