Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:33 pm 

Thanks guys. It ought to be interesting to see what all this work turns out. I am expecting a few more horses. :mrgreen: Im very pleased with its outcome so far. I sat on the bike the other day before I painted it to see how the down tube would affect leg position and posture. My leg goes right over just above the tube and the bike doesn't feel like there's going to be any difference over stock. I'm hoping a clutch mod won't be required but who knows. I've been looking at another clutch pack trying to come up with an idea in case it's required.

I put the LEDs on it the other day for frame and motor lighting but my phone took a crappy pic cause of the low light. When I get a good lit pic, I'll post it. :thumbup:

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1
06 Kaw 750 Vulcan (wife’s bike)
12 Yammi vstar 250 (wife’s bike)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:30 am 

usernameandpassword wrote:
I put the LEDs on it the other day for frame and motor lighting

:thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:38 am 

Beautiful work. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Let me know if I can help you in any way. I am less than an hour from you.

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:29 am 

Excellent work, thanks for sharing. :clap:

Jetting will no doubt keep you busy for a while, the bike will have a 'Ram Air' principle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:35 pm 

What a great ride!
cant wait to see you and mrs again at the gap, i will be ashamed of mine there with that kind of quality next door, but strokerface says i gotta replace the yokohamas so at least ill have shiny tires,lol!
seriously, the innovation some 40 yrs after the fact never ceases to amaze me
the true beauty of this board is the creativity it brings,
Outstanding! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:31 pm 

I appreciate the kind words everyone and offer of help Tim. I'll keep that in mind. Maybe we can go for a ride one day outside the gap. :thumbup:

Love the LEDs Hal. I had blue on it before but the red paint calls for red this time. Just gotta finish wiring them and and we'll be golden.

Bigmo, I'll be watching for ya. The wife will be around a bit but I think she'll be more inclined to the hot tub and the quiet scenery. she'll be along for a ride or two. We are going to go up on the skyway this time, since the house we got is right at the entrance, and maybe make a trip to the highlands to see the waterfall. We missed it last time.

Well an update is due. That stupid machine shop sat on my cylinders long enough. 4 weeks and that guy hadn't even touched them. I rounded them back up today and am sending them out to Paul Gast. They are already on the UPS truck slated for next Thursday. I did talk to Paul a bit today. You can tell he has a real soft spot for these bikes. It didn't take him long to hear me talking to one of the other guys and he got right on the phone. He guaranteed me a one week turn at his shop so I should still be on schedule, just have to push test and tune out another week. He felt my pain getting shafted by that other shop. Also told me he would do the work and they'd be perfect when I got them back. If all this comes together like planned, this is gonna be one hot machine to ride at the gap. :mrgreen: :thumbup:

Stay tuned. Still polishing paint but halfway done with that. This weekend is paint and putting the control housings back together. :thumbup:

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:19 pm 

Time for an update........

Cylinders came back from Gast so I could get these cylinders assembled. Got them back in a week. Woulda got them back sooner if I had put my phone number in the box. :roll: Still, appreciated the quick turnaround. Paul did tell me he had to make a couple special tools to do them cause he didn't realize how small the S3 bore is. I'd say he can do S3 cylinders no problem now. :mrgreen:

Anyways, finished up holing up the piston I sent him and start throwing this thing together. Cylinders came out excellent for one minor flaw.The jug is a half mill too far.

Carb is up better but I shoul;d have scalped another mill off. I had to grind the plug alot anyways but this did make the fit better.

I was sitting here one day after talking to Moo a bit and was trying to figure out how I added this up wrong. I had taken a bunch of measurements, was pretty sure what I told Paul to take off, how'd this come out light? Somehow when I was drawing this up, guess I got confused, combined two numbers or something, and came up with the wrong amount. Sad thing is......If I had been reading my notes in my phone, instead of using scribbled numbers on paper, the last pic would have been avoided. :roll:

One thing I did learn is that with the cylinder scalped a tad light, I'd likely had to raise the exhaust port to lower the compression anyways, this will give me a chance at spacing the cylinder around to see what makes the best power. The head gasket was giving me a half mill clearance back along and with the head recess, it still was just too tight. I grabbed the stock gasket and it's pretty paper thin. I had some thicker material so I cut new base gaskets and put them on. The material was thick enough to get the piston below the deck so between all that, crushed down left me with me at .035 clearance. I talked to John a bit and decided to button it up and try it out.

It's a little dirty but I figure I'm gonna have it apart a couple times before finishing it. You can't even see the intake in the first pic. Blends right in. :thumbup:

Not bad looking I think. The air box is last after I get the jetting real close. Couple growing pains with it like the petcock hitting the carb, cables not long enough, choke tops not fitting the new carbs, ect, I got past most of that. Today I got it buttoned up enough to start it. After kicking it for some time it wouldnt start. Carbs just weren't feeding fuel. I dumped a little in the carbs, gave it a few kicks and it came to life. :mrgreen: Below is a small vid. I revved it on and off up to 4500, nothing hard right yet, motor runs like a swiss clock. One thing I did note though is these old TNT's must have had the baffles knocked through. They sound like stingers and they are loud. I rode it around a little (its raining here) but it was obvious it was a totally different engine. It's running lean so some jetting is in order but when I did get it revved up around 4500 and it came on the pipe, even with a 15 on the front, it lurched hard launching the bike. You can definitely tell there's more power here. The jetting is close, idles well but I think i need to look at a couple larger mains and different needles. It faded quick when i'd try putting my foot in it. I got a day off this week so I'll take time to get it right when it's warm and sunny. 8-)

http://youtu.be/Bvna2juzXWU

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:45 am 

usernameandpassword wrote:
One thing I did note though is these old TNT's must have had the baffles knocked through. They sound like stingers and they are loud.

The baffles are just straight through tubes with louvers in them. If it's really loud, pull them out, clean them, and replace the fiberglass. They won't sound like stingers if they're packed right.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:00 am 

I can't get them out. They are froze in there good. I'll try getting them out again during the next heat cycle. I tries getting them out before I started it and they are so bad I'd almost need a slide hammer to get them out. :(

I stuck my finger in the end and noticed they are choked down to a smaller diameter about an inch into the baffle. It's smaller than my finger. Is that the way the baffle is made? I haven't seen one extracted so not sure. I sure hope your pipes are quieter as the wife will need earplugs with these. Anything over 2 grand and they pipe right up.

Will be juggling the mains and needle around to see where the lean problem gets better today. Also will be removing the head and see what the piston looks like. I'm definitely curious of what power delivery it has once the lean condition is somewhat rectified. When it came onthe pipe yesterday that one time, it surprised me how it sit right up. :thumbup: :o

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:56 am 
Site Admin

What are all the numbers on the carb jetting? Needle jet, needle and slide also.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next