Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Temp sensors
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:26 pm 

Anyone know of a temp sensor that works on air-cooled bikes? Trying to find one for my H1 efi project. I would like to get one that is for 1/8th pipe threads. The one I have is for water cooled and 3/8ths pipe. Too big to fit anywhere. The controller reads resistance, not voltage and is 2 wire, not connected to ground, if that helps. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Temp sensors
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:38 pm 

Can you get the RTD element and make your own? Omega has a huge collection of elements and ready-made sensors of both thermocouple and RTD sensors.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:10 am 

There's a bunch of options out there. You don't say what you're wanting to measure: CHT, ET, IAT, etc....since you're working on a EFI project I would assume you'd want to measure everything. Many of the options on the market are resistance output. Let search be your friend.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:11 am 

Vw Porsche early engines use a NTC
Temp switch for EFI

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:17 am 

Some mind readers you lot. :crazy: The kit I got has a water temp sensor from a Chevy. Need a replacement to fit an air-cooled engine. All it will be doing is telling the ecu that the engine has come up to running temp and go off "choke". I used to have a '68 squareback with efi, that was the first one I looked at. It is one wire. The ecu is setup for a two wire (none connecting to ground) so the vw sensor is out. The chevy sensor read about 2860 ohms at 77 degrees F. What little I know about thermocouples is that they produce voltage change with temp change. The ecu uses a resistive sensor. Not sure that would work and with what the ecu cost I'm not willing to risk it. I just looked at Omega and found this one (RTD-NPT-72-E-1/8-MTP) for $71 plus shipping. Does anyone know of something similar for a bit less $$?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:39 am 

Essentially everything Omega sells is available elsewhere cheaper. Their value is in having a diverse collection all in one place. With some clever searching, you might find the Omega sensor somewhere else. Unfortunately the Omega part number won't help, you'll have to go by the specs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:51 pm 

falconman wrote:
Anyone know of a temp sensor that works on air-cooled bikes? Trying to find one for my H1 efi project. I would like to get one that is for 1/8th pipe threads. The one I have is for water cooled and 3/8ths pipe. Too big to fit anywhere. The controller reads resistance, not voltage and is 2 wire, not connected to ground, if that helps. Thanks.

What efi are you going with?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:39 pm 

I got the MS3X so I can run full sequential mode. The other systems all use batch fire of the injectors which I don't think would work well.