Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:16 am 

I'm slowly working on my '73 h2 and need some advice / sanity check before I start slicing.

I think I have all the pieces to the puzzle finally.

Measurement breakdown

• frame opening - 218 mm
  • swingarm width - 229 mm
-- 11 mm to be trimmed (round to 12 mm to be safe)

Cuts

• frame swingarm lugs - 4 mm (2 mm from each side)
  • left side of swingarm - 4 mm (there is space behind the bearing before the step up for the through hole)
  • right side of swingarm - 4 mm (straight off the end)
-- 12 mm removed

Inner Race

Unfortunately when my swingarm arrived, the box was all beat up and had the 'arrived open at facility' sticker. So I need to figure out a replacement. As luck has it, there appears to be some parts of a gsxr that will fit my needs. Stock the gpz has a 17 mm pivot bolt. My h2 has a 16 mm pivot bolt. I'm going to buy the stock needle bearings but change the ball bearing to have a 16 mm I.D.

* Option 1 ($50): I can get the gsxr inner races with 16mm bore ( Suzuki OEM part number 61251-49000 - $16.73 each) which are 16x25x35 for the roller bearings. The gsxr inner sleeve ( Suzuki OEM part number 61282-06B0V - $15.44).
* Option 2: Get a new spacer cut with a 16 mm I.D., 25 mm O.D. 200 mm width.

What do you guys think?
Do the cuts seem to make sense?
Would you do Option 1 or Option 2?
What do you think Option 2 would cost?

Thanks for the help,
Justin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:19 pm 

Hmmm... Interesting ideas.
Is it all Aluminum?
What wheels are you planning to use?
How long is it compared to stock swingarm?

I see what you are trying to do there but you are losing the space meant for seals (your empty space).
Have you seen this?: http://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-1984-zx750-e1-gpz-750-turbo_model15716/partslist/24343.html

You have given me some ideas here so maybe I should get one of these (if its Aluminum).
I have an idea that I could cut it down the centerline, remove some material then re-weld it at the appropriate width.
And maybe add some reinforcement at the bridge to make up for any reduced strength due to welding. Just thinking out loud here... :D

PK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:07 pm 

It's aluminium. I figured I might lose a seal, not sure how important that really is. I might just bore the swingarm to make up the lost space.

I havent figured out rims yet. Should be relatively simple.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:46 pm 

Forgot to mention that the length is comparable to the 75 H2 swing arm that I have. So I will probably have it shortened at some point. But since all I have right now is a swingarm that doesn't fit my empty frame, I'm not too concerned with it. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:15 pm 

toccare wrote:
Forgot to mention that the length is comparable to the 75 H2 swing arm that I have. So I will probably have it shortened at some point. But since all I have right now is a swingarm that doesn't fit my empty frame, I'm not too concerned with it. :lol:

OK, thanks for the info.

PK