Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 53  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:12 pm 

hooktool wrote:
m in sc wrote:
rz arms are different. LC arms are more like early TZ arms, over the top shock, no linkage.

Good to know-thanks. :)

John

thanks for the offer John! If you find a TZ (or RDLC) swinger in your pile, give me a shout!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:28 pm 

scrambler73 wrote:
Once you are all finished modding (brackets, etc) your H1 frame, throw it on the scale again. I'd be curious to see where it ends up!
I know a stock (absolute factory) late H1 frame is just a hair shy of 45 pounds.

I will weigh it when its done. There is a little more metal that has to come off, but some more has to go back on for minor bracing, rearset mounts, rear hoop and the likes.

So it seems like if you are on a budget for a good handling triple just though a 500 in a pretty much stock 400 and call it a day, but if you are going to be throwing money at the project the same results can be had if you start with a h1 or a s bike.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

oxford wrote:
scrambler73 wrote:
Once you are all finished modding (brackets, etc) your H1 frame, throw it on the scale again. I'd be curious to see where it ends up!
I know a stock (absolute factory) late H1 frame is just a hair shy of 45 pounds.

I will weigh it when its done. There is a little more metal that has to come off, but some more has to go back on for minor bracing, rearset mounts, rear hoop and the likes.

So it seems like if you are on a budget for a good handling triple just though a 500 in a pretty much stock 400 and call it a day, but if you are going to be throwing money at the project the same results can be had if you start with a h1 or a s bike.

400's are a bit "boingy", (actually any stock triple) so suspension upgrades are recommended.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:52 pm 

oxford wrote:

No doubt that one can get an H1 chassis to handle great, but I think it will always feel "bigger" and "heavier" than an H1 engine in an S-frame.
Even if the scales only show a few pounds difference, its the balance and "feel" of the S-chassis that makes it easier to ride quickly...at least for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:01 pm 

scrambler73 wrote:
No doubt that one can get an H1 chassis to handle great, but I think it will always feel "bigger" and "heavier" than an H1 engine in an S-frame.
Even if the scales only show a few pounds difference, its the balance and "feel" of the S-chassis that makes it easier to ride quickly...at least for me.

I guess its like the difference between a modern ktm 200, 250, 300. On paper they are all very close in specs and weight yet the 200 is way more lively and light feeling when the going gets tight.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

scrambler73 wrote:
oxford wrote:

Very true, just as the H2 feels like a boat comparitively..... It's just bigger everywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:49 pm 

The best part of my salmon kh400 frame is the clear title I have for it... :mrgreen: I little clearcoat and she will be ready to go! Lol

I'm not sure why I like the small 400 frame so much, being 6 foot and 220 lbs. I'd probably look better on a H2... :lol: but it's hard to complain about how well the bike handles... It's biggest limitation is me and that's a good feeling.... Besides, who cares I look like a dog humping a football! :lol:

So, Cody, are you going to have this beast ready for the Gap? :thumbup:

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:09 pm 

Walms wrote:
So, Cody, are you going to have this beast ready for the Gap? :thumbup:

I'm focused on getting this, and a stock H1e together before the snow melts. The thing about building a "special" is the little stuff you cannot forsee or plan for.
Not much on this thing so far has been "bolt-on"........and Im not even finished with the stupid frame yet. :banghead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:58 am 

Subscribing to this, looks great so far!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:16 pm 

Anyone familiar with a H1, will rave about the handling of a S having experienced the difference.
The difference is just there. It feels like a moped realy.
To keep this nice feel, it is important to keep forks and front wheel light weight or make it even lighter.
And pay attention to headstock bearings running perfectly.
At this end, there are 3 more S-H hybrids being build this winter, all 3 for track use.
It is going to be good!
Cody: You spend a lot of time with the flex didn't you!
Great effort already, and obviously more to come. :thumbup:
Some more ideas maybe:
Exchange the cast iron lines for Al ones and you loose another 4 Lbs! (at $1400 :lol:)
Change to 2.2 mm spokes and loose some more Lbs.
Drill all three main axles
Dump upper fixtures for shockers, make lighter ones
Use S-rearhub (it will handle 100 RWHP)
Find Aprilia 125 frontend (-4 Lbs)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 53  Next