Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 53  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:19 pm 

scrambler73 wrote:
the frame started off at about 38.5 pounds. After removing over 8 pounds (including the grindings) of frame chunks
and then adding back 3 pounds of steel in Walms' engine mount kit, a few brackets and tabs (rearset mount plates) we are at just a titch over 34 pounds.
Should be at 35 pounds all said and done.....
Feels one heck of a lot lighter than an H-series frame thats for sure.

I weighed a late h1 frame that is in just about the same state as the one on your piucture and it came in at 36 pounds. I would say frame for frame with the same mods you did to yours would be within 5 pounds or less.

With frame weight being close, what actually makes the 4/5 such a great handling bike that can't be achived with a modded h1?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:19 pm 

oxford wrote:
I weighed a late h1 frame that is in just about the same state as the one on your piucture and it came in at 36 pounds. I would say frame for frame with the same mods you did to yours would be within 5 pounds or less.

With frame weight being close, what actually makes the 4/5 such a great handling bike that can't be achived with a modded h1?

I think more than anything its the physical size and geometry of the S-chassis... Shorter, better trail, etc. The handle good right out of the box.

I rode Walms' 4/5 this summer and just loved how the bike felt. So much so, now Im neck deep... :lol:

Once you are all finished modding (brackets, etc) your H1 frame, throw it on the scale again. I'd be curious to see where it ends up!
I know a stock (absolute factory) late H1 frame is just a hair shy of 45 pounds.

In the end, 5lbs is 5lbs. Lot of work to get here though :banghead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:47 pm 

I have several RZ swingarms, which are the same as the RD LC, I believe. Let me know if the measurements check out, and I'll fix you up.

John

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:21 am 

rz arms are different. LC arms are more like early TZ arms, over the top shock, no linkage.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:44 am 
Site Admin

oxford wrote:

H1's can to be made to handle very well! It's just more work than most guys want to go through. Most guys are too worried about the chain guard not fitting and wanting to bolt on a even longer modern swingarm. They have to be jacked up in the back quite a bit and converted to a 18" front wheel. (then they complain about the speedo being off) Then there is the weight that needs to be removed.......

Do one right and you will have a very nice handling 500.

The S2 is about 50 lbs. lighter, and a couple of inches shorter in wheelbase, it also has a more compact frame, lowering the CG, and probably has a better front to back weight ratio. Motor placement may be a bit better. Wheels are lighter too. So it's really a lot of little things that make it a better handling bike than a stock H1.

All in all, both bikes probably are the same cost to upgrade, you just have a better starting point.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:00 am 

I weighed a S3F and H1F frame this morning... They came in at 39.8 and 44.2 lbs. using digital bathroom scales.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:24 am 

well... damn. that is some great info guys.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:30 am 
Site Admin

Such a pretty S3 frame........ :wtf:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:34 am 

KH400 frame!!

Between the headstock bracing (and the 60 layers of sweet salmon paint), that accounts for the extra pound over an S3 frame.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:38 am 

m in sc wrote:
rz arms are different. LC arms are more like early TZ arms, over the top shock, no linkage.

Good to know-thanks. :)

John

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 53  Next