Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 53  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:20 pm 

Learned something on Friday... Actually learned a few things.

1st, is that, plastic, or at least the plastic used in the gauge pod (Buell X1 Lightning) that I "modified" to fit the Speedhut gauge will indeed HARDEN and become BRITTLE when subjected to adhesion promotor, SEM Flexible primer and base/clear coat!! :lol: :lol:

I had taken one of these (left over from the Buell project from a few years ago)
which before paint was nice and pliable...

and cut it down to kinda-sorta look like a "wrinkle-finish" H2 style gauge pod.

Instead of wrinkle, color-matched it to the tank/headlight. I don't have any pics of prep and paint process, but in the end it turned out like this.......

and I thought "cool", one more think checked off the to-do list.
I let it set over night and the next morning when I went to slip it over the gauge it cracked :roll:.... And not in one spot, but in multiple spots.

The whole thing turned "crispy"!!! oh well..

So, the new plan was to order a chunk of aluminum (or stainless) tubing of the correct I.D./O.D. and make one out of that. I found a couple of online vendors, but had to run to the lumber yard to pick up some materials for work. Figured I'd see if they had anything that I could "retro-fit"...
No dice, but for giggles, on the way home, decided to stop in at the new Goodwill that opened. Its like a perpetual Garage Sale and who knows WHAT you'll find???
Well, I knew what the measurements were and low and behold, came across... This! :lol: A shiny Penguin!!!!

Which at the time, I thought was nickel plated steel or stainless? That should work. Measurements were EXTREMELY CLOSE and for $9.99, figured what the heck.
A chunk of "online metal" would have been at least 3x's that when you factor in shipping...

What is it you might ask? A coctail mixer! Scroll down this page and see... :shock:
http://www.sheryls-artdeco.com/drinks6.html

Too late!!! I got to chopping. :twisted:

And it turns out it isn't stainless or plain steel, but nickel plated brass.. Hmm? I wonder what would happen if I polished all of the nickel off of it? :think:

tah-dah!

Now, I'm not really sold on the polished brass/gold pod, so I'm actually considering painting it, but at least I know that it wont crack and will hold up one heck of a lot better than plastic. For now I'll leave it be.....

what do you guys think? Too much? Sorta reminds me of this guy... yeah boiiiiiiii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:22 pm 

oh!! one more thing..

I still have the penguin's head! Don't tell me this wouldn't make a PERFECT gauge pod/mount?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

Good conversation piece, I would leave it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:10 pm 

My wife is lamenting the end of the penguin, saying she would have loved to have had that. She knew right away it was a cocktail shaker.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:30 pm 

Yeah, my wife collects Penguins - I thought this was a family-friendly site........!! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:49 am 

shame on you Cody this cocktail mixer was awesome :e9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:21 pm 

scrambler73 wrote:
oh!! one more thing..

I still have the penguin's head! Don't tell me this wouldn't make a PERFECT gauge pod/mount?

Mount it to the top of your helmet! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:25 pm 

scrambler73 wrote:
Which at the time, I thought was nickel plated steel or stainless? That should work. Measurements were EXTREMELY CLOSE and for $9.99, figured what the heck.
A chunk of "online metal" would have been at least 3x's that when you factor in shipping...

What is it you might ask? A coctail mixer! Scroll down this page and see... :shock:
http://www.sheryls-artdeco.com/drinks6.html

Too late!!! I got to chopping. :twisted:

Quote:
Large Penguin Cocktail Shaker
Large vintage Penguin cocktail shaker. A good heavy quality piece, it measures 10.5 inches tall (27cm). His top torso unscrews and the ball stopper unscrews from his mouth for pouring. In good vintage condition.

[b]Ref: M1785 . . . £495[/b]

One expensive clock pod = approx $750 :o

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:00 pm 

there are a couple on ebay, priced way lower than that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:47 pm 

Hal wrote:
One expensive clock pod = approx $750 :o

:lol:
Pretty sure the one listed is an original Art Deco Period shaker... the one I scored for $9.99 is a modern reproduction. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 53  Next