Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 53  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:46 pm 

magee wrote:
Cody, do you realy want to be the first to have a swing arm failier due to useing different metals welded together. I know you want lightness some some things should be left alone.
my 2cents

Henry is out there!

Guys, thanks for being my sounding board. I hear ya in terms of thinking about safety, and Im not even using the stupid thing now anyways.. No way Im adding three pounds of weight for nothing after sweating over actually weighing the metal dust I swept off the floor....
Whether or not it would fail in real-world will now remain a mystery.

I got so caught up in working on this stuff yesterday, I couldn't see the forest through the trees. The whole point of doing a 400/500 is WEIGHT SAVINGS and HANDLING. Not adding a bunch more pig-iron to an already stupidly heavy bike.

This is me... :banghead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:12 pm 

Funny how things turn out.
Thanks for all the parts weight info.
Had you considered a Yamaha alum. swingarm for this (cause you probably have a drawer full of them :) ).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:22 pm 

Jim C wrote:
Had you considered a Yamaha alum. swingarm for this (cause you probably have a drawer full of them :) ).

For what he is loking for wheelbase would be way to long with the fzr. Speaking of the FZR swinger, Cody do you happen to know what the aluminum FZR400 weighs?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:24 pm 

I'll remeasure mine later today but had remembered the FZR and early H2 were close in length

edit:
Lookie what I found:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320830965500?ss ... 1423.l2649

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:33 pm 

From what I remember, the fzr is 2" longer than a late h1 arm which is very close in size to an early h2 arm. I think the fzr arm could be easily modded to get 3/4" of less length(again from memory) but any more than that and you need to be cutting out the shock mount and re-welding in a different piece of tubing. Even at that It starts to get skinny fast towards the front so there isn't a whole lot more to be gained with that approach. What is the size of a stock s arm?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

Square arms just look wrong on triples...... :eh:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:12 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
Square arms just look wrong on triples...... :eh:

On people too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:16 pm 

I did some FEA on the stock swingarm a while back but didn't see a huge difference with the deflections for the effort and decided not to bother on my bike... I suppose if you are really pushing the envelope, the extra rigidity would be welcome though.
These deflections are shown with a 200lb load applied to the axle. In this case, the fully braced swingarm deflects about 70% of the stock swingarm.

I'm not as biased as John, so I'd say you'd be better off with an aluminum box swingarm to start with. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:30 pm 

different materials flex at different rates. the SS will crack faster due to its being more brittle. the chromium in it makes it so. the mild steel in the arm undoubtedly has a good amount of lead in it (im serious). Cody, you do remember i am an engineer, right? :lol: seriously, bracing should be of the same materials or ones with similar elasticity. Just something to chew on later.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:48 pm 

Are you sure it's even stainless? That loop looks like it used to be part of a sissy bar, based on the left over bits...
Looks to be chrome plated steel from the surface rust.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 53  Next