Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:43 pm 

so far.....

(not shown is over 1lb of "grinder dust" I swept up... :lol: )

Last edited by scrambler73 on Sat May 11, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:51 am 

Looks like somebody's been dipping into the cut off wheel inventory. Can't wait to see what rolls out of your shop next. Keep the progress pics a coming.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:55 am 

Mike wrote:
Looks like somebody's been dipping into the cut off wheel inventory. Can't wait to see what rolls out of your shop next. Keep the progress pics a coming.

cut-off wheels, flap discs, and sawzall blades..

I still have a few more brackets to cut off (plug holder, airbox mounts, etc), but will be adding back some of the weight in other tabs.

Since Leo posted that bracing the frame is not necessary, and that a little flex may actually be a good thing...Im not touching it. I plasma cut a bunch of head-stock gussets and triangulation plates, but they weigh over 2 pounds :thumbdown:

This bike is NOT going to be roadraced. Its a streetbike. The only thing Im probably going to do is brace the swingarm. From everything Ive read on the S-series chassis (and from those that roadraced in the KH400 French series), the swingarm was the weakest link in the S-Frame. Some guys even said the top of the rear wheel would touch the shocks sometimes in hard/bumpy corners :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:32 pm 

How about a pic of what's left??? :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:03 pm 

I'm a bit surprised Leo stated that, the FEA proves the headstock mod does more to reduce flex then the frame beefing up of the swinger mount, not my opinion, just fact... Maybe if what he says is true, the swinger brace is a waste of time as well.

I also doubt this mod makes the frame too rigid... It's not like it's a truss frame like the comment made about the Ducati GP frame.
Of course your call Cody but I never get too concerned about the sprung weight difference that could be equalized by a couple extra grunts during your morning constitutional. :mrgreen:

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:55 pm 

I'm not remotely denying that plating the headstock won't stiffen the frame. Im just saying if Leo is able to roadrace his S-Series/H-engined bikes to the level he does (which is far faster than I intend to go on the street) without headstock bracing, then Im not going to worry about it.

That said, Leo is using braced or box-sectioned swingarms on his bikes.

My '70 H1 has a KZ650 swingarm fitted and it is NIGHT AND DAY difference in cornering feel (and straight line stability) as opposed to a stock early H1. I left the frame totally unbraced as I did not want to modify anything in case someone in the future wanted to bring it back to a bone stock bike. Just the beefier swingarm made the bike solid as a rock at speed....far more so than my stock H2....and I would also argue that the early H1 frame is weaker than an S-series as well.

Every stock early H1 Ive tried to ride quickly feels like its going to throw me into the woods at anything over 90+ mph. The guys that road-raced these things back in the day were dragging their scrotums in corners along with pipes, stator covers.....
Anywhoo....I just know how much of difference in feel the swingarm alone made on the H1.

Believe me, Im not trying to cut any corners on this thing at the expense of "weight savings",but Im not going to add weight that is un-necessary for 99% of us under normal riding.

And since Im not going plating the headstock, it allowed me to hide all of the H1 electrics up under the headstock.. I made a little bracket for the bottom and welded a small tab for the upper mount. Its even rubbermounted. :thumbup:
*original coil mount will be removed*

There isn't a lot of clearance up under this gastank for cables, wires, etc in the first place, and it took me a while to figure out how to get everything up under this tank and out of sight.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:27 pm 

Nice! Your fab skills are awesome..but attention to detail, design, vision -- that's what's cool. And it's also why I stick with the stuff mama Kaw churned out!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:30 pm 

+1
I'm sure this is one is going to be over the top!!!

One last comment on the headstock bracing and I promise to shut up... :)
Let's not forget Leo weighs a buck 40 soaking wet... Put a 220 lb guy on the same bike and you might find he has a different opinion about handling when pushed

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

Walms wrote:
+1
I'm sure this is one is going to be over the top!!!

One last comment on the headstock bracing and I promise to shut up... :)
Let's not forget Leo weighs a buck 40 soaking wet... Put a 220 lb guy on the same bike and you might find he has a different opinion about handling when pushed

I think Cody will be fine, they did used to race the S2, and went fast. But then again, race tracks don't have railroad tracks........ :o

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:47 pm 

I definately appreciate the compliment, but I dont know if "awesome fab skills" is quite how I'd put it Ian. I'd say more of a "proficient hack" than anything else. :oops: :lol:

Here's another shot of cdi "reconfiguration"......

Basically, just bolt all three units together, using the other as a mount point. Piggyback the little box to the big box and Robert is your Fathers' brother. It fits in there nice and plenty of clearance. I used the existing horn-mount holes for bottom mounting. The little bracket will be powdercoated to disappear and new stainless hardware used to bolt the crap together. It'll look nicer than this when finished...promise.
I might even polish the R/R..... :lol:

speaking of R/R, Im going to see where Im at financially on this project as I would like to buy one of Jim's R/R/cappy units so I dont have to run a separate capacitor. If not, I'll just run a Bat-pac cappy strapped to the frame in the old coil mount location....

So here's the frame almost ready for powdercoat. Im still trying to figure out the rear fender so the rear of the frame isn't tied together yet.

the frame started off at about 38.5 pounds. After removing over 8 pounds (including the grindings) of frame chunks

and then adding back 3 pounds of steel in Walms' engine mount kit, a few brackets and tabs (rearset mount plates) we are at just a titch over 34 pounds.
Should be at 35 pounds all said and done.....
Feels one heck of a lot lighter than an H-series frame thats for sure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53  Next