Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:26 pm 

Just wondering if anyone has a catalog lying around that may have the part numbers for the old fork braces that were available back in the 80's. They were called Ultimate Source Forkbrace. They were sold by a couple people including Racers Supply and I think Racecrafters. I have a brand new one but have no idea what it fits. There are some numbers stamped to one of the plates that bolts to the fork leg. It says K500. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks guys.
Thad Q.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:46 pm 

Just assemble and measure the open diameter, we should be able to match them up by fork tube diameter and ctc between the tubes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:35 pm 

No, this is the style that has two flat plates that bolt between the fork legs using the bolt holes for the front fender. The rest of it is just two hollow loops bent in a u shape and then it is all welded together. There is no adjustment with this style, unless you are Charles Atlas.
Thanks guys.
Thad Q.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:35 pm 

Thad, those are the kind that require shimming, and, the forks must be fully assembled on the bike to get the brace from pulling/pushing the parts out of alignment. It is real easy to have one of those things bind the forks if they aren't shimmed correctly.

Just about everybody sold those things, so, it might be that finding an old catalogue for those two you mentioned, Racecrafters and Racer's Supply would have the listing you need.

I have one that was given to me here now, for a Yamaha XS650 street twin, but it will most likely either get put on a display bike for a museum, or, become something else, as it does have nice pre-bent tubing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:45 pm 

Thanks Dave, I hope one of the guys has an old catalog lying around.
FYI I spoke to Greg K. from K&P cycle and he wants you to call him. So please do when you get a chance. I have been friends with him since the mid 80's. Just wish I stopped down at the shop all those years ago when you were tuning for Al. Thanks for all the knowledge you provide.
Thad Q.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:39 am 

I don't see any welds on this one or a part number so it is likely not the same. My camera takes crappy close ups but it says "Circle Industries - City of Industry, CA" on the tag. It fits a drum brake H1.......to fit it to a disc front would take some surgery. Sorry if its not the same.....just thought it might help.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:36 pm 

Thanks, Thad, Greg K was Jeff Farmer's 250 and 600 mechanic when the kid was fast, before Vance and Hines messed "Jeffro" all the way up with their "Super-Bike" ride. I'll call him.

garand, that is a Circle Industries fork brace, they were either steel or aluminum, one piece, still need to be shimmed. I think the one Thad mentions is one made from steel bar for the sides, and round steel tubing bent into the crescent, and all welded togher, if I am correct on it. Same idea/function, just made differently.

If I get a chance, I'll take a picture of the one for the Yamaha XS650 I have here, and, if you send me a real world e/mail address to use, send 'em to one of you guys to post, just for clarification/info.

Last edited by H2RTuner on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:01 pm 

I just went out and took a couple of pictures of the one I have, THE ugliest fork brace in the world. If someone wants to post them in this topic, simply FYI, send me a real world e/mail address to use, and I will reply e/mail attach them for you to post.

Although this brace IS the ugliest fork brace I have ever seen, it gver me ideas as I was taking its picture. It sure looks like an excellent two hand handle for sometig I haven't dreamed up...yet, or, a steering wheel for a go-cart for the kid down the street, the possibilities are almost endless. BAD fork brace, GOOD (fill in the blank)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:04 pm 

Thanks Dave,
I was snooping around the triples resource page and found some H2Rtuner insight and you covered the style that I have and there is even a picture. Thanks again for all you provide.
Call Greg K. he really needs to talk to you.
Thad Q.