Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

Walms wrote:
Jim wrote:
They mention "...if you look close you can see our altered degrees of rotation between firing." It looks like the crank is 90-90-180 instead of the usual 120-120-120 degrees. That should be "interesting".

I gotta be missing something here... How the heck could the crank be balanced without an external counterbalance and what possible benefit even if balance weren't an issue???

I haven't delved into crank phasing, but you have to look at the multi cylinder as just three singles that are connected. So if each crank/rod/piston assy is balanced, then it's not a problem. The 90/90/90 gives more overlap on the power strokes, with a bit of a "rest" for the tire for 180 degrees.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:16 pm 

Walms wrote:
I gotta be missing something here... How the heck could the crank be balanced without an external counterbalance and what possible benefit even if balance weren't an issue???

I don't think it's you who is missing something. The guy who wrote the web page seems (to me) to be saying that grouping the firings into 180 degrees, with the right one firing first, somehow reduces crank stress and increases horsepower. Let's hope he keeps us updated with his progress.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:10 pm 

It's been too many years since I took that night school course on high performance engine building (4 stroke) but the guy did cover the firing angles of the cranks, the V6 being a bit of a bugger to balance compared to the 4 cyl and 8 cyl having a natural opposing cylinder to minimize crank stress and balanced as a whole...
I've never looked at V6 crank since taking the course but 2 of the lobes were separated by a few degrees, instead of being equally separated.
To be honest, I can't remember the reason and I don't have my notes any longer to recall why. :oops: It was all about minimizing crank torque deflections then anything else I suppose...

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:32 pm 

Walms wrote:
I've never looked at V6 crank since taking the course but 2 of the lobes were separated by a few degrees, instead of being equally separated.
To be honest, I can't remember the reason and I don't have my notes any longer to recall why. :oops: It was all about minimizing crank torque deflections then anything else I suppose...

If I remember right, a 60 degree V-6 has better natural balance than a 90 degree V-6. Because GM wanted to use a small block V-8 design with two cylinders lopped off to save designing an engine from scratch, they were stuck with the 90 degree configuration, so they split the journals to improve the balance, quite possibly for the reason you gave.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:40 pm 

Sure looks like a big advertisement to me. He forgot to mention how in a stock frame you could have a widowmaker that wheelies through all the gears and goes 300 plus miles an hour. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:58 pm 

why would any one put all that effort in, very body knows Chris Ritchi make the most powerfull triple engines, he could get one from him turn key.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:00 pm 

Henry, you are such a little tease! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:52 am 

Jim wrote:
Walms wrote:

If I remember right, a 60 degree V-6 has better natural balance than a 90 degree V-6. Because GM wanted to use a small block V-8 design with two cylinders lopped off to save designing an engine from scratch, they were stuck with the 90 degree configuration, so they split the journals to improve the balance, quite possibly for the reason you gave.

Jim, There were even fire and odd fire, The early ones had both rods from each pair of cyls on a single journal, the odd fire. Rougher running at idle and low speeds. The even fire had the split journals. Smoother running at low speeds.

Interesting read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Mo ... _V6_engine

Don

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:14 am 

"This is not our first custom H2 project, we built a 860cc with altered crank firing order in 1989 and won the open class 89,90 & 91 against 1500cc harleys & 4 cyl jap bikes."

Maybe they know more than they are being given credit for?

I don't see what is ambiguous about this. A win is a win is a win, ask Tim Tebow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:43 am 

The crank phasing sounds like the same principal used in the 'big bang' 500 moto GP bikes where the uneven power delivery allows time for the tyre to gain traction. The moto GP guy's probably took the idea from dirt riders anyway, I remember reading years before about moto cross sidecars using two stoke triples were at quite a disadvantage even though they were making the bigger HP. The regular and often power pulses just caused the tyre to spin up compared to the big slower revving 4 stroke XS twins which had plenty of 'resting' time between the power pulses which allowed time for the tyre to hook up. This would be an even bigger plus for dirt hill climbing wouldn't it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next