Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:23 pm 

I keep pulling on one thread and unraveling more than I bargained for but after a lot of part time tinkering it's fiiiinaly getting there. Still some tinkering to go with the back brakes and controls and such but I should be riding it soon. Best part is no frame tabs were cut to make it all work. That wasn't easy and I was tempted many times. And yeah it's heavier blah blah but I really like the look of it. The "other" project is going to be the one on a diet. This one's for bike nights and trips up the coast road.

I'm pretty happy with the rearsets. Both sides work surprisingly well. Just need to route the rear line to the reservoir under the seat and I'll have brakes!

I'm going to put the KZ kicker on there and juuust might clear. Otherwise I'll spring the $50 for a folding peg.

Shifter side took some "editing" of the covers.

I could have avoided it but the shift pattern would have been reversed.

Front brakes shouldn't be a problem with modern MC and braided lines on the way. I also have modern calipers that I might graft on there when time permits.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:13 pm 

Awesome work Steve.
KZ650 frame eh?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:49 am 

Actually the frame is H1 but the entire front end and rear end is Kz650. Te rear disk necessitated the need for some sort of rearset that incorporated the master cylinder. I had a the Tarozzi's and a "universal" MC and other bits and pieces laying around so I got some 1/4" ally flat bar and got to carving it up. I'm pretty happy with it. The rearsets are in a very agreeable riding position. I fitted everything from superbike bars to clipons and it's all pretty comfortable.I have some clean nisssen front calipers that would appear to be very close to fitting with an adapter so that will be the next phase once I geti it rolling later this week. I'm waiting on a new petcock and the output shaft seal is leaking very badly. Time is sorta limited but an hour here and there and she'll be done soon enough.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:48 am 

That looks really good! Back in 83 when I took a few years from riding to raise a family, I gave my 73 H1 to a friend who plopped the engine into A kz650 frame. I didn't see it for over a year but when I did, it looked pretty cobbled together, not like yours which is nice and clean. He did say it handled so much better though.

I'm sure that yours will too even though you still have the basic frame, just the forks change should make a nice difference.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:15 pm 

Nice hybrid there Steve.

I've got a GT550 kicker on my early H1 cafe bike to clear the non-folding rearsets. Splines are correct and it clears the peg nicely - it does kinda jam into my right leg a bit while riding by I've gotten used to it. Just another option...

Cheers,
Neil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:06 pm 

Looks Great!!Love the paint scheme!!! :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:38 pm 

Nice looking great job. :clap: :thumbup: :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:06 pm 

Excellent! I'll give that a go. It doesn't need much at all really. The KZ kicker is working but is about 1mm clearance. Not confidence inspiring.

NAB wrote:
Nice hybrid there Steve.

I've got a GT550 kicker on my early H1 cafe bike to clear the non-folding rearsets. Splines are correct and it clears the peg nicely - it does kinda jam into my right leg a bit while riding by I've gotten used to it. Just another option...

Cheers,
Neil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:08 pm 

By the way I rode it yesterday and at first I thought it was a total and complete pile of slow turning lard (even by kawi standards) But after putting air in the tires :banghead and dialing the damper back to the minimum :banghead it's really little difference from a stocker. It IS obviously heavier though. It's strange to have such excellent rear brakes on a triple. I can lock them up almost too easily if I want to. I'll need to have a thicker shifter rod made up though. The 6mm threaded rod is bowing already.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

The things we do for fashion...... :lol: :lol: :lol: