Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What to expect?
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:57 am 

What are your thoughts about all the oil leaking out of the exhaust port? I filed the oil injection tank with Klotz (red) and the oil that's leaking out of the port is black. Wondering if oil in the crankcase could contribute to the excessively high compression?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:59 am 

Usually, oil leaking from the clutch/transmission into the crank case is from the right cylinder bottom end, and if that is the only cylinder filled with "black" oil, it might well be the right hand crankshaft seal, and/or the O ring on the crankshaft that seals the two entities apart.

If it is from all 3 cylinders, it could be two stroke oil that has been "through the process" of a running engine, and has dripped/migrated down into the case areas.

Over the decades, we used to do a test on bikes that did not run Castrol R bean oil in the engine, we filled the transmission with the Castrol R, ran the engine, and if it smelled just like race day out the pipes, we knew we had some sort of transmission/clutch to engine leak.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:54 pm 

Black oil is coming from the left cylinder exhaust port. So far I've moped up a 4" puddle and another 2" puddle.
If I continue to run the engine am I risking hydro lock or would it have already done so if it was going to?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:05 pm 

It MIGHT be that the check valve on the left hand oil line is defective, and open, which would possibly allow oil to migrate into the crank case. One way to tell is to take the left cylinder check valve loose from the case, and put a bowl under it, see if it loads up with oil. If so, you need to redo the check valve, and if the engine number is early enough, possibly, the end chamber on the oil pump. Complete service bulletin on the oil pump end cap is on Dale's Resource Site, easy to read.

It might also be that over the years, nobody correctly adjusted the oil pump cable for proper lube delivery, info als on the Resources site. If this is what has happened, it may well have clogged the baffle in the exhaust pipe, and collecting unburned oil in the baffle separator chambers. One way to tell is to pull the baffle out of the pipe, then, with the pipe off the bike, stand it up on its end in a catch bowl, and see if any oil comes out of the pipe. I'd let it drain, both directions, out the rear and front ends, each one over night.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:44 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
I did this vid for guys like you with bike that have sat. And Jim is correct, that is way too much compression to run of gas. Have fun with the build.You might want to consider new pistons. as that much off the skirts causes a lot of reversion and loss of low end torque.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2KI-IzIh6I

Ja-Moo - Thank you very much for taking the time to do this video. This whole black oil issue was bothering me and even though I "thought" I had checked the crankcase with a tube through the intake port and found no oil, today I removed the cylinders and low and behold there was a good half inch of black oil sitting in the bottom of the crankcase for all three cylinders! Based on the fact that I ran the engine, I guess I'm lucky that I didn't bend a rod. (Hope I didn't) Gee I wonder how much oil was down there before I started it! Thinking back, the oil tank was empty when I got the bike. Now it seems obvious why it was empty but that never occurs to the novice! Thanks Again :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:46 am 
Site Admin

You are 1 in a million! if you had revved it hard, I'm sure you would have hurt the motor. Glad you didn't!

I don't know how many times I have had to post, that taking the plugs out and kicking will not remove oil/gas from the crankcases, as you just can't get the rpm up enough to do so. Hope those guys that keep suggesting it see this post..... :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:39 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
You are 1 in a million! if you had revved it hard, I'm sure you would have hurt the motor. Glad you didn't!

I don't know how many times I have had to post, that taking the plugs out and kicking will not remove oil/gas from the crankcases, as you just can't get the rpm up enough to do so. Hope those guys that keep suggesting it see this post..... :thumbup:

When I removed the heads I checked that all three pistons reach the same height in the cylinders at TDC. Assuming that's a good indication that the rods all all straight?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:11 am 

The usual symptom of a bent rod is that the engine locked shorty after you tried to start it.

Have you done a leakage test on the crank seals yet? There are a couple methods on the resource site.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:30 am 

Haven't done the crank seal leakage test yet but, thanks to the resource site (Darth?), I was able to confirm that one of my oil pump check valves was assembled incorrectly and therefore not working. You guys have put together an amazing technical resource site which you should be very proud of.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:43 am 

:o :shock: Not 'Darth', our very own 'mraxl', Dale, who is here all the time......... Darth is OK, I guess! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next