Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: H1 750
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:20 pm 

I picked up a couple engines a while back. 73 H2, 75 H2. The 73 is nicely ported and came with a set of stingers and large carbs and CDI boxes. The oil pump and neutral light holes are welded shut. I have a nice set of Lesters, and have had a Tracy body from an (from what I was told) early H1, plus some nice Tomaselli clip ons. I started thinking I wanted to slap it all together and make a loud funky bike to play around with. So today I picked up a rolling 75 H1F chassis. Has wheels, front end ect plus wiring harness and coils. I thought I read years ago that the 750 will drop directly into the 500 chassis? What else works or doesnt work from the two bikes?

Post subject: Re: H1 750
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:36 pm 

The engine is a bolt in. You will find it easier to install in the 500 chassis than in the stock 750 frame. ( no front mount triangular brackets to fight and align) the easiest way to do the wiring differences is to use a 73 H1D or H2 wiring harness. I made some simple brackets and hung the gold boxes vertically behind the H1 battery box similar to the 73 H1D. I used a 72 H2 throttle setup sans kill switch as I was using a 72 wiring harness. The subharnesses for the instruments and headlight wiring, tailight and brake light wiring are plug and play if memory serves. I used a 72 H2 ignition switch and mounted it under the gas tank as that was the easiest and blanked off the ignition switch hole in the late H1 instrument panel with a stainless allen head and a washer. I think the ignition switch wiring for the H1 CDI is different than the H2 so if you elect to use the H1 switch you will have to talk to someone smarter electrically than me like Adrenaline Jim Hobbs the owner and operator of Lakeland Services who makes new ignitions here on the Board. Holler if I can help you. You will like the H2 in the H1 chassis. I love mine in the Phoenix Project...

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:23 pm 

You will also need a set of H2 coils as they too are different from the H1 if memory serves. They are also a bolt on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:24 pm 

I have coils and a few smalls. Great to confirm the engine is a drop in. Im sure my Dencos will be interesting to hang off the bike but I have had them hanging in my shed for years and have never heard them before. Im sure they will be ear piercing . I need to cut the Tracy body down from the ceiling, toss the motor in and start a loose mock up to see what else I will need. Im not sure what I want to run for guages. At first I was thinking of a single tach mounted in the middle somewhere...but no sure yet. Also, I have had a 9" headlight from a Suzuki GS laying around that should fit the bill.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:11 pm 

You can use H1 coils if you ground the negative primary wires to the frame. They're less common than H2 coils though, so you may want to save them for a late H1 application.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:09 pm 

I used chinas finest scooter cans on my Denco Killer stingers on mine. I didnt cut the pipes. I just slid the cans down over the stinger tubes until the ends of the cans were even with the rear edge of the back tire and even though only about 1/4 of the baffled can is in play, it cut the bark of the stingers...I clamped them to the stinger tubes and ran safety wire from one of the can bolts to the Denco mount bracket to prevent uncommanded departure from the aircraft. They were only $20 each shipped. The midrange was substantially improved and the top end performance was unaffected.

I have period correct Dunstall rearsets on mine and it just so happens the Denco brackets only required a little tweaking to bolt right on...

Heres what they sound like open:
https://youtu.be/RkPSVsgA_OE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:33 pm 

I had to use washers to shim H2 engine
In my H1 frame . I also had to cut off
Center stand section of the frame to install
Denco chambers . It is a fun bike to ride.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:55 pm 

I had to use washers on mine and cut that stuff off too. Yes indeed they are fun....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:07 am 

Tim Steele wrote:
I used chinas finest scooter cans on my Denco Killer stingers on mine. I didnt cut the pipes. I just slid the cans down over the stinger tubes until the ends of the cans were even with the rear edge of the back tire and even though only about 1/4 of the baffled can is in play, it cut the bark of the stingers...I clamped them to the stinger tubes and ran safety wire from one of the can bolts to the Denco mount bracket to prevent uncommanded departure from the aircraft. They were only $20 each shipped. The midrange was substantially improved and the top end performance was unaffected.

I have period correct Dunstall rearsets on mine and it just so happens the Denco brackets only required a little tweaking to bolt right on...

Heres what they sound like open:
https://youtu.be/RkPSVsgA_OE

This just remined me that I also have a set of Dunstall rearsets for the H2. Mine are nos still in the box. I will have to take an inventory of what I have since I seem to have forgotten. Im still not sure on the gauges . The h1 roller came with the gauge pod and indicator lights, but no clocks are in them. Im thninking of a single Smiths tach if i can make the ratios work

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:08 am 

I have a nice 72 H2 tach complete if you want to go that route that I would sell for $100 plus shipping.