Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:15 am 

Jim is right on the money, the least amount of filler rod used makes for a better bonding of the host metal, and strength. That is why getting all the weld joints as tightly aligned is so important.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:47 am 
Site Admin

Hang in there Joe! this is a big first welding project, just keep at it, so far looking good, and if you have to add filler, add filler, a lot of this stuff takes years to figure out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:11 pm 

I’m going down swingn’ for sure
A GRINDER AND NICE THICK BLACK PAINT!! :o :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:02 pm 

John's right, keep at it, well worth while to get the project done, and, LEARN.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:23 pm 

Thanks for the encouragement!!
Went to the shop today to continue on the welding but then a friend of mine stopped by with my kid and his kid and a bunch of their young friends and they convinced me to go riding the rest of the day so I jumped on the KZ and we had a blast :thumb up:

Much better than looking at the pics of those welds :D

ImageUntitled by Joe Herriges, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:45 am 

I know I'm going to get an extra set of hands when it comes time for me to tack up a set for the first time. As you said, it's difficult to get perfect alignment and a tack simutaniously "good enough" alignment isn't good enough as it doesn't take much error to produce that gap.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:05 am 

I need a prehensile TAIL!! :lol: And if I knew now I would have had help!

In my quest to learn how to weld I have talked to a bunch of welders, they all have different takes.
My neighbor who is a machinist and a good welder who I was hoping to get some help from, once he saw the cone kit said "your on your own with that"
The other two guys I know, one is now a Forman and doesn't weld much anymore but welded aluminum for 20+ years said it would even be tough for him, the other one is a younger guy who is welder and holds a bunch of certifications for some of the specialty metals, cobalt, titanium, etc said that with me being new it was going to be challenging, both those guys said use rod, the younger guy said pulse the other said he hates pulse.

Yesterday morning a friend stopped by the shop who has worked in the metal fab and coating industry for over 30, he took one of the pipes I had tacked up to one of their welders in the afternoon who does all the "glamor welding" (his word not mine), stuff that needs to look good, he said for a beginner I'm doing great and that my fit up is not good enough for fusion welding and considering how the cones go together that he was amazed I did as well as I did without better fixtures for holding it. He said he would weld them minimum 200 bucks cash maybe more depends on how it goes....
Im going to weld them myself and keep on learning, and my friend said he's going show me some of the fixtures there welding department uses to hold pieces...now that its to late :lol:

So apparently this is quite a project for a beginner
Again I rely appreciate the encouragement from you guys, this is one of the toughest things I have ever tackled.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:11 am 
Site Admin

There are some things I won't even attempt. Better to leave to the professionals! UNLESS I really want to learn the process, then I will go for it. Just keep on keepin on! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:48 am 

Walms wrote:
I know I'm going to get an extra set of hands when it comes time for me to tack up a set for the first time. As you said, it's difficult to get perfect alignment and a tack simutaniously "good enough" alignment isn't good enough as it doesn't take much error to produce that gap.

Always fuse tack IF POSSIBLE, don't add rod. To fuse tack, you have to add fast, high amperage, so the joint edges expand quickly together and touches. Try to tack slowly and the whole area heats and then the edges melt away from each other. The other reason to not use rod, any metal you add ABOVE the surface of the part shrinks when it cools, this tends to pull the opposing joint side apart, then you are left with the problem of somehow needing to clamp the opposing side tack area together.
When I say "pulse weld" that means "fuse weld". Not sure if you guys welcome my professional experience with this stuff, if not, I'll just shut up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:50 pm 

Having done all this for decades by myself, self taught, and being the tinkerer I am, I get great pleasure from doing this sort of mayhem by myself. One thing I also like to do is build my own specialty tools, fixtures, etc. Of course, not everyone has the ability (NO disrespect), nor facilities to do that, but no reason common sense and creativity can't be used. There is always a way, just have to use that common sense and creative effort, and it will come about. Just never give up, keep trying, and learning. Just remember, this is a hobby, and....FUN (even if it frustrates the daylights out of you in the beginning!

For welding cones and centers together, I took two small vice grip pliars and added rounded ends to them, so I could clamp the things together, to tack them. Works well, a whole lot easier.

Be creative!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next