Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:49 am 

If I'm not mistaken, the stand he's using is nothing like a stock one, due to other modifications that precluded the use of the stock type.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:46 pm 

Jim wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the stand he's using is nothing like a stock one, due to other modifications that precluded the use of the stock type.

You are correct Jim. Using a zx6 side stand mount. The zx6 side stand was way to short so I modified the already modified side stand I was using. Its s a long side stand, longer than the s series, but because everything on my bike has some sort of mod the ride height is excessive, which someday I will address maybe, it leans way to much.
Altered Images post gives me some ideas. Once you start modifying its like a 100 piece puzzle, once you change one piece your down the road!!!
It needs a dog leg of some sort.

Jim on the MPH I was rowing between 3 and 4th mostly on some good twisty back roads. The nice part is it now will pull nicely without the hiccup and its a bit more controllable in the turns I don't have to worry about the big hit where it was digging out of a big hole in the power band. Before it was a bit freighting existing corners if you were way leaned over, it would come on a bit fast or fall on its face, there seemed to be no good in between.

There is a hill near me where it would show the flat spot big time , in fifth it would actually loose speed now it actually gains speed up it in fifth, it is a big difference.
Like I said the low end is still about the same but I am no where near done jetting yet and the way it is running I dont really care.
I think Im going to try the Zeel again soon. That can make a big difference anywhere you want, Im just a bit worried about the problems I had until I put your iggy on, but seeing I have both now its a quick switch if problems a raise and I think I know the solution , need some signal pick ups from a yamaha 650 if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:02 pm 

When I built my all 3 under chassis pipes, decades ago, I used the stock H2 side stand and mount. I moved the mount on the chassis forward, worked well, and I don't know how it works today, bike was stolen in Merced, California in 1994, but was OK up until then.

If I ever get the chance to get back to working on my "new" liquid cooled, case reed H2R street bike, I will build a right and center pipes under chassis, left pipe out and under alternator, up through the chassis, and out under seat exhaust setup for it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:49 pm 

Gotcha Joe. With my reeded H2, I just leave it in my 16/44 5th most of the time. 60 mph is just under 3,000 rpm.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:35 pm 

Jim mine is pretty close to stock gearing, I can't remember what sprockets I am running, 15/45 ??? I would need to go look but 60 in 5th is really close to 4000 rpm.
Mine really has been a bit of a slug down low, once I get the jetting sorted a bit better we will see if this set up is better, but Walms program didn't show much improvement in the lower rpm numbers from the spec II with my porting and so far it seems his program is close. The program showed nice improvement from 4500rpm and up with peak power about the same but 1000 rpm earlier.
To me the big improvement is the fact that it seems more like a really fast push from 5000 and up, rather than being shot out of a gun at 6000. The Spec II's where fun dont get me wrong, but actual real world driving and tight turns not so much.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:21 pm 

15/47 was stock. 16/44 puts my 4th where stock 5th was. I don't find myself searching for 6th any more. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:32 pm 

Every 5 speed bike I have would benifit with a good 6 speed tranny at least from my experience :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

I was just about to call you Joe, for a speed/rpm as you have the 17" wheels. :thumbup:

With that set up, you are at an equivalent to 14/47-48

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:11 pm 

Sorry John there 18” gxsr wheels ... remeber I’m running a bike speedometer and an old tach from a kz400 so everything I see may be a bit off!
The top speed saw was 89mph don’t know what gear I was in just keeping from 5000 or just under to about 8000 or just above. Was having a blast! I know I wasent in 5th
The best part was the low speed corners where the rpms are a bit down, now it just pulls instead of falling flat, and if I keep it at about 4500 to 5000 start accelerating through the corner by the time I’m coming out it starts into some serious power ... I didn’t want to come home!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

The bike speedo should be spot on if you got the size correct, and i know about the 400 tachs. That equivalent gearing was close to what you had reported. 15/47 is 65mph. :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next