Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:31 am 

Ive been looking and thinking of ways to angle the carbs on my H2 for looks. For some reason the look of the carb stock always hits me the wrong way. I use Johns stage 1 reeds so machining or other ways to angle carbs won't work. Thought about going to the stage II reeds, not ruling that out, but with the stuff I have this wold be easy and inexpensive.
So when I saw soflah2b's post using HD compensator boots (thanks for the idea :thumbup: ) I ordered an OLD used one and have been playing around with it.
But when I started looking at it I began to wonder about airflow and how this might affect the reed and the performance.

Maybe this is not a good idea or maybe it is better ???

I and took a few crappy pics through the carb and intake track. The pics of the angled HD boot appear to show steps that are not there , its a fairly smooth transition and if I do this for real I will dermel any parts that would be in the flow path if they were to really be there.
And PLEASE, I dont want to debate theses reeds... I just want to be able to post stuff Im doing for fun..sorry for the disclaimer..

The fist pic is with the stock Kawasaki boot
ImageUntitled by Joe Herriges, on Flickr

This one is with the HD compensator boot, it makes the intake track longer and a bit larger and you can see it points it much further toward the bottom of the reed so the flow would "jump" up at the reed. My guess is real world street riding would show little difference in performance (throttle response)
ImageH2 intake with reed by Joe Herriges, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:17 am 
Site Admin

You are changing the intake volume after the reed so that's a good thing when experimenting. I don't think there will be any problem with the added angle. Keep us up on how it all goes. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:53 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
You are changing the intake volume after the reed...

?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:43 am 

After in terms of the reversion wave blocker Jim! :lol:

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:05 pm 

After meaning from piston to reed? , that dimension is not changing, simply changing the intake boot so the carb angle will be different. The intake track to the reed from the carb throat will be longer and slightly larger.
So a larger volume after the carb throat to the reed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

From the pic, left to right, after the reed.......

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:19 am 

I looked up reversion and read a bit about it, just proving my very long standing thought from the start of my 2 stroke journey with this bike …..there is WAY to much going on within a 2 stroke, simple on the outside VERY complex in its workings!
I really need to stop messing with stuff I know so little about, this being said as I march forward :lol:

The area after the reed will be larger, how much I don't know.
The length at the center line of the boot is 16mm more, but the HD boot is has a larger inside diameter (40 mm).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:26 am 

demus wrote:
The area after the reed will be larger, how much I don't know.

As I see it, the gas flows through the air filter, then the carb, then the reed assembly, then into the engine, so your volume after the reed won't change, since you're messing only with things that are happening before the the air gets to the reed. I think that's a good thing. Joe Byrd (Battleax) did a lot of experimenting with adding length to the intake path between the filter and carburetor, and found it helped very noticeably, but he wasn't using reeds in those engines. With reeds, reversion isn't a problem, but the tuning effect of a longer intake tract might help, so it will be interesting to find out what differences you find. Joe uses PVC plumbing elbows to mount the filters to the carbs, in case you haven't seen his setups.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:57 am 

There is a rule of thumb for process blowers for the inlet to have a straight section 4x the diameter of the inlet to maximize the efficiency of the blower's output. In Battleaxe's case, I would think a longer tract just creates less turbulence which would translate into a more consistent draw for the jets.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:08 am 

There's also the effect of the longer path containing the reversing mixture so it can go back in next time, rather than having it get lost through the filter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next