Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New VM38's
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:41 pm 

Finished swapping out my TM34's with a set of new VM38's. Took a little time fitting everything, cable length and routing etc. but I am pleased with the outcome. Thanks to Jrgy for jetting baseline. Still some fine tuning to do, currently jetting is 12.5 pilot, P-8 NJ, 6DH4 @ 2nd clip and 280 main. No air jet. Used VM34 throttle springs, 3 three of the 38 springs were too much for me.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: New VM38's
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:59 pm 

soflah2b wrote:
Used VM34 throttle springs, 3 three of the 38 springs were too much for me.

I bet they were... I have stock VM30 springs in my VM34s because the VM34 springs were too stiff. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, try the 30's springs if you have them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:14 pm 

I did. Nice and soft. Was afraid might be too light....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:47 pm 

Tell us about the performance!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:59 pm 

Nice! :clap: were did you find the angled intakes?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:41 pm 

As I said it still needs fine tuning but runs real strong, very throttle responsive, it is heavily ported. Big improvement over the TM's, easier to jet, larger choice of jetting available. The intake boots are Harley Davidson compensator boots. Two front and one rear or two rear and one front. Bolt pattern had to be modified on one side.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:53 am 

Cool.

What UFO's are you using? 2.5, 3.0 or 3.5 cut out?

Over here, we are a couple running VM38's. We both use Q2 NJ. If leaner, Power went Down in the 1/4th throttle openings area. Funny thing is the other one does not use UFO, but Stock 2.5 slide. I use UFO 3.5. Still we both ended up at Q2. I think I have 12.5 or 15 pilots. I think he has 35 or 40.

I am not saying Your intake runners are too short, but they may be. I did a lot of dyno testing for the purpose of finding the shortest intake runners lenght as possible (for fitment reasons) befor Power in the low/mid went Down. My Intake runners has then Ramair 70mm fitted outside the silicone tubes for Maximum air flow. And I found the minimum length to be in the 200mm area, before Power went Down.
I have about zero experience With TM34's. But I can assure you the 38's will boost Power at all revs all the way from 3000 to max versus VM's. So, I believe you will feel Power icrease over TM's as well, but maybe not in same extent. Make sure you are able to give 100% full throttle. I had to adjust the splitter. It is a couple of horses to be gained there as well. And the perpendicular to bore carb position also gived you a Nice little Power gain over conventional carbs position. Don't know exactly how much though....maybe 3-4 rwhp???

What heads do you have?

Oh.......and Your bike looks GREAT by the way, I also like those pipes very much.

Good Luck With the tuning :thumbup:

Jørgen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:11 am 

soflah2b wrote:
The intake boots are Harley Davidson compensator boots. Two front and one rear or two rear and one front. Bolt pattern had to be modified on one side.

I have seen these for HD under the name compliance fitting, never thought about a triple.
Besides modifying the bolt holes, how is the match to the carb and the intake on the cylinder?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:44 am 

demus wrote:
soflah2b wrote:
The intake boots are Harley Davidson compensator boots. Two front and one rear or two rear and one front. Bolt pattern had to be modified on one side.

I have seen these for HD under the name compliance fitting, never thought about a triple.
Besides modifying the bolt holes, how is the match to the carb and the intake on the cylinder?

I believe you are right, compliance fitting. My intake ports are large, larger than the diameter of the intake boots, as they were machined to accept port reeds.