Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: New VM38's
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:07 pm 

Jbabl, I have one of the HD compliance fittings laying around if you want to see how it would work PM me your address and I will send it to you N/C its brand new unused.
The reason I mention this is you should check to see how it will align so you understand before you dive in with them.

I have seen 38's fit to standard cylinders no mods except new boots to fit the 38's dont know how it was done.
Also guys machine a very slight 2 or 3 deg angel on the face of the intake on the cylinder to get the 38's to clear the cases.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

jbabl wrote:
The adapters you have are mikuni? And I think from what I've read the 38s needed are called VM38-9?
Thanks

Oh no, I make my own......

http://www.kawatriple.com/aylor/adapters/adapters.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:30 am 

Those adapters look great- so it also helps the tight fit between the bottom of carbs and cases? Any word on oil line issues with the 38s? Mine plugged in nicely on the 34s
Still considering what to do-
Thanks again

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:13 am 

jbabl wrote:
Those adapters look great- so it also helps the tight fit between the bottom of carbs and cases? Any word on oil line issues with the 38s? Mine plugged in nicely on the 34s
Thanks again

Yes, the 38's easily clear the cases. Carb oil lines slipped on to one of the bowl vents. Not much clearance between the frame down rails and the carb mouth. Look at the pics earlier in the post. Had to get creative fitting air filters. Center carb bowl drain plug sits on the neutral switch so I fashioned a hard plastic cap to fit over it and keep carb from directly contacting it. Throttle cables will need to be modified and re routed. All in all it was a bit of a challenge adapting them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:36 am 

soflah2b wrote:
jbabl wrote:
Thanks again

Yes, the 38's easily clear the cases. Carb oil lines slipped on to one of the bowl vents. Not much clearance between the frame down rails and the carb mouth. Look at the pics earlier in the post. Had to get creative fitting air filters. Center carb bowl drain plug sits on the neutral switch so I fashioned a hard plastic cap to fit over it and keep carb from directly contacting it. Throttle cables will need to be modified and re routed. All in all it was a bit of a challenge adapting them.

Assuming you didn't do anything for the oil line check valves, if you just pushed the oil lines over the vent tubes? How about long term storage, oil fill the carbs and overflow?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:00 am 

I'm also reading the KTOG very lengthy and informative thread-seems that H1 throttle cable might be a good idea, and I think my choke adapters that I got for my 34s will screw right in-
I already have a tight fitting between the neutral switch, and I see a lot of people are using silicone tubes to move the foam filters further from the carbs-
Doesn't seem like it will be an easy bolt on situation-
Thanks again

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:35 am 
Site Admin

Yes the enrichner threads are the same for the 34's and 38's. I personally never saw the need for 38's on the street, but guys like them. I guess I need to ride a piston port with 38's. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:55 am 

It can be challenging.