Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:20 am 

67lotus49 wrote:
I have a old broken 74 case that I will practice on first. Looks like I may have to pull one the center cylinder studs to get a straight shot.

That doesn't sound right. If it's in the way now, it's going to block the hole later. I bet you find it's not really in the way.

Quote:
Will go get a 1/2 dozen new Cobalt bits...

What is this case made of, hardened tool steel?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:11 am 
Site Admin

I'm with Jim, you seem to be making a mountain out of a mole hill. It's a simple job. Just follow the casting to the oil bolt in the case. Just make sure you break through in the area above the threads. And you don't need to remove any studs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:48 am 

Just having one of those weeks where it seems everything I touch turns to sh*t. I'm sure I won't have a problem with this.
Stressful week here at work, just finishing a $175,000 repair on a Ferrari and the customer is super anal.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:44 pm 

It IS a very simple procedure, however, not everyone has the super duper stud avoidance skinny drill motor that some here have. Some of those drill motors get pretty big, and if so, a pesky, fat stud can get in the way.

Still agree, very simple process, though.

As far as the Ferrari, tell super anal owner to pull it out of his arse, so you can work on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:23 pm 

Oh, my apology! I misunderstood and was thinking Ron was saying the stud was in the way of the drill path under the surface, and I couldn't understand how that could be.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:58 pm 

Like the guys commented Ron, it's pretty easy to drill using a hand drill at slow speeds for the soft aluminum, and a simple titainum bit from Home Depot. Just take your time and if not using a jig like Dave suggested, continually monitor your drilling angle so you come out at the correct point within the banjo's threaded hole. I did this for my 75 case to match my 72 cylinders, so if I can do it it should be a piece of cake for someone with your skills... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:55 pm 

Actually any decent drill bit will work in cast aluminum for three holes. HS steel would be fine, no need for titanium nitride coating.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:08 am 

H2RTuner wrote:
Ah, the late George Roche, or, George Jareau, Rene Roche, Rene Jareau, he jumped from name to name for decades. He was a racer that originally came out of the Sacramento area, then, to Santa Ana, and was one of the original non-factory Kawasaki triples road race campaigners in ACA, AFM, and even AMA racing.

George! I knew george when his shop was in Santa Ana almost 40 years ago. He built some great bikes. God those things were fast at the time. He used to make a crazy set of chambers...all three came out on one side and at the time I thought they were truly things of beauty. The last time I spoke to him was in the 90's and he was living in Apple Valley and spoke of being in ill health. I wanted custom chambers made and he was willing but the projected time frame was a deal killer for me.