Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need some carb help
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:41 pm 

So i haven't posted here in quite some time, but I just dug the old girl out of the corner and I'm working on some engine mods. I am planning on a stage 2 reed kit and some port work. I have owned a ton of 2 stroke dirt bikes but I really just want to build something different. So I have a friend of mine in Japan right now for the next 2 weeks and he is parts hunting. What 2 stroke bike in Japan has 30mm carbs that he can pick up for me? Preferably flat slide. I have an amazing machine shop at my disposal so I'm not really worried about fitment.
Oh yea, he is trying to get an NSR250 to take apart and ship back for me. I am praying for that deal to go smoothly
Thanks in advance for any info you guys have to share

Post subject: Re: Need some carb help
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

30 flats are not rare. Were you looking for something really different?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:55 pm 

I'm just not sure what guys are using. Nice 30mm flat slides can be had for cheap from Japan. John, I talked to you on the phone a few years ago but had to put my project on the back burner. I will be contacting you for a set of reeds pretty shortly. This is a 1976 KH400 that is getting a major overhaul. I think I am going to run a set of WTF pipes as well.
So what carbs are people using?

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:05 am 
Site Admin

30's should work fine. :thumbup: Glad your project is back in the game. It will be a fun set up for sure.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:38 pm 

So what 30mm carbs should I look for? I am a bit weiry of the eBay $40 Chinese carbs. I have had some luck with them in the past but it has always been on single cylinder bikes and I'm not sure how well 3 of them could be synchronized together. I have seen the Mikuni TM28 flat slides for $110 each and I know they are supposed to work well but is that going to be enough carb? I am looking for some good power out of this thing. My buddy owns a machine shop with a 5 axis machine and he really wants to try his hand at making a set of cylinder heads.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:56 pm 

And what do you guys think of the WTF pipes?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

kh400cafe wrote:
So what 30mm carbs should I look for? I am a bit weiry of the eBay $40 Chinese carbs. I have had some luck with them in the past but it has always been on single cylinder bikes and I'm not sure how well 3 of them could be synchronized together. I have seen the Mikuni TM28 flat slides for $110 each and I know they are supposed to work well but is that going to be enough carb? I am looking for some good power out of this thing. My buddy owns a machine shop with a 5 axis machine and he really wants to try his hand at making a set of cylinder heads.

The flats usually work as well or better that a size larger round slide. So, the 28's would be the equivalent of a 30 round. Since you are using reeds, carb size is less critical. and 32's should also work fine.

I run the WTF's on my 500 and 750 with good results. You can contact Walms here, to get info on the 400's as he is WTF.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:43 pm 

Thanks for the input. I will be contacting you in the next few weeks for some reed kits.
What kind of compression ratio do you run on your reed converted engines?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

I set my compression to stock, between 150-155psi kicking.