Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:50 am 

I don't want to seem incredibly cheap (although I am frugal at times) but my S3 has about 7,500 miles on it and just manually pushing and pulling on the stock shocks, it seems they still have a modicum of damping. I see there is a hex on the shock body cover, so I'm wondering IF "rebuilding them" would make a difference? Maybe going with some of the newer fork oil and perhaps a higher viscosity?
As a KLR650 Owner, I know some folks have gotten extended life AND much better performance going from what I currently remember as 5w to 7.5w oil for increased damping. I did a search, but didn't net anything here.

I DID find this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_InEnom2ec on rebuilding the KLR650 shock.
4 dog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:51 pm 

4 Dog knight wrote:
I don't want to seem incredibly cheap (although I am frugal at times) but my S3 has about 7,500 miles on it and just manually pushing and pulling on the stock shocks, it seems they still have a modicum of damping. I see there is a hex on the shock body cover, so I'm wondering IF "rebuilding them" would make a difference? Maybe going with some of the newer fork oil and perhaps a higher viscosity?
As a KLR650 Owner, I know some folks have gotten extended life AND much better performance going from what I currently remember as 5w to 7.5w oil for increased damping. I did a search, but didn't net anything here.

I DID find this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_InEnom2ec on rebuilding the KLR650 shock.
4 dog

Rebuilding them is a good option, but DO NOT re-fill them with fork oil, it will make them too stiff, fill them with shock oil only

1973 H2-A
2000 F650GS BMW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:38 pm 

Baz,
THANKS for the verbal correction! :clap: I should know better than that...I just didn't write it! I do understand that shock oil doesn't foam as much as fork oil will.

Anybody have any suggestions/specs on the viscosity and volume of an S3 shock? I weigh about 160 in my shorts before breakfast and I don't plan on adding any aluminum pannier cases, so it should just be me an' my bike...plus some safety gear, like helmet and pants n' jacket. :roll: What made me think the shocks may need some rebuilding is that they have about 1/2" to 3/4" of freeplay at the top of the stroke. Without any new shocks to compare them to, it makes me wonder if over time and about 7,500 miles that they may have weeped enough oil to be slightly low on oil volume? No signs of leakage when disassembling them...but then they've been sitting for about 40+ yrs. :lol:

My other thought is that IF or when I get them apart...and they need ANYTHING, am I going to be able to find those parts, seals, bumpers, etc.?
4 dog