Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 500 hybrid
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:16 pm 

Hey peeps-

Just starting on my project, have some questions on the oil injection system. In my opinion, I don't trust them, you don't know if they go out until your engine seizes (at about 5k in my senecio) on my RD400 years ago, not fun....... In going through the entire engine, I'm looking at doing away with the oil injection pump and just doing a pre mix, that way I KNOW oil is getting into the engine. What are your thoughts??? Ideas?? :eh:

Post subject: Re: 500 hybrid
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:38 pm 

Premix on a street bike unless you ride it very little sucks and is a waste of oil in my opinion. The pumps rarely fail and work perfectly when the lines and check valves in the lines are properly set up.

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

Umteem 1000's of 2 strokes out there using oil pumps. They are super reliable so to say. It's usually the auxiliaries that fail, check valves, or the cable tang breaks off the pump cam. Kawi pumps are super simple anyway.

Pumps all the way for me! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:05 am 

Ok, let me rephrase my statement. Pumps reliable, check. Rest of system, check valves etc. parts not. Again, you won't know until our engine seizes. Is it just something you just constantly check to make sure it's still working right? Like a high maintenance girlfriend? Lol! :silent:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:16 am 

With a bit of common sense maintenance, the oiling system is pretty much bulletproof........ Engine seizure is usually a too lean jetting situation, and if you run out of oil, you have no one else to blame. I haven't run pre-mix, but I haven't heard of anyone who "likes" it. The system outside of the pump is simple and reliable, it's not too difficult to set things up, it is pretty basic, and there is a lot of information and help available.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:08 am 

Have done thousend of miles on 2 stroke with oil pump since 45 years, never had isssues with pump.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:11 am 

Fabreezai wrote:
Like a high maintenance girlfriend? Lol! :silent:

Ahhh but a well maintained one in excellent unrestored condition can bring many hours of enjoyment if ridden often.... :thumbup:

just sayin.... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:24 am 

Fabreezai wrote:
Is it just something you just constantly check to make sure it's still working right? Like a high maintenance girlfriend?

Just spend a little to rebuild your current lines, and have piece of mind:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-H1-H2-S1-S2-S3-and-KH-oil-line-check-valve-springs-and-balls-/201771396217

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-H1-H2-500-750-Check-Valve-Springs-and-Balls-/272554017001

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:31 am 
Site Admin

Not checking oil in the tank seems to be the biggest cause of lack of oil seizures. Check vales usually leak, or stick open, and a lot of us just drill a hole in the pump cover over the cam to check if it's turning.

Another thing most guys miss, is the strainer in the oil tank teet. It catches junk and can get clogged.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:16 pm 

RODH2 wrote:
I haven't run pre-mix, but I haven't heard of anyone who "likes" it......

It doesn't bother me. Back in the day before the internet, I had a cylinder seize (center) and the bike ran fine with the pump for months beforehand. Very costly fix for a 17 year old on a part time job ($300 for pistons, $150 for a bore, gaskets, ect. I couldn't afford replacing oil lines and a pump as well, to make sure it was fixed and stayed fixed, so I switched and never looked back. One thing about it.......never experienced another one to this day. I throw an 8oz bottle in the tail and fill it with no more than 2 gallons, riding it like I stole it sometimes. :mrgreen:

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1
06 Kaw 750 Vulcan (wife’s bike)
12 Yammi vstar 250 (wife’s bike)