Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:05 am 

Again, thank you. It's good to get real information on the mysterious chambers. :)

I wonder if the angle between the right head pipe and first diffuser cone is actually different, or if the head pipe is just rotated in the cylinder adapter a little. I know when I'm making Denco replicas, the way the head pipe is positioned in the adapter determines to a large extent how far the chamber is from the frame tube.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:11 am 

It may be the header is made different, but it is not rotaded that much in the adapter. I know stock Denco has to be forced out if you want the same space between belly and frame, as the "RR" pipes have, and you can clearly see the header is bent inside exhaust adapter if you bend the denco stock's out. So, there must be something else than the header rotated/bent in the flange

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:47 am 

That's one reason I'm interested in how the bottom welds line up. If the cones are rotated at the front of the center section, that could possibly account for the extra frame clearance. Just guessing though, of course.

If you rotate a stock Denco right chamber in the adapter at lot, you can make it stick way out to the right and up. That's what I mean by rotated a little... not forced to the right, but rotated in the adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:07 am 

Jim, I once did a measurement-comparison between denco R/R's and street pipes...section lengths, diameters, etc.
I posted a photo on the Kawi Worldwide forum showing the diff's.

They are quite different from street pipes. Even the diameter of belly section is smaller than street chambers....by quite a bit if memory serves.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:27 pm 

Thanks Cody. It's starting to seem like there are various versions of "RR" chambers, maybe some prototypes made by Denco, maybe some street pipes modified by the user, etc..

In any case, setting up to make a particular type of chambers in a production sense is not simple. Drawings of cone sections have to be made and sent to the laser cutter and money has to be invested to get a batch cut. I've found that I need to get at least 50 pieces of each piece cut to keep the price down, so that's at least 200 pieces of cut steel for Dencos. Then three well made jigs need to be built and checked to be sure they're correct, tweaking them if not.

So it's possible I'll set up to make "Denco RR" chambers sometime in the future, but I'm going to finish getting set up for all the standard ones first, which means the early H1 and S3 that remain. I'm also getting a lot of inquires for Yamaha RD chambers, so they may come before RRs. Then there's the thing about me not liking the looks of chambers that turn upward on a triple in the first place. :lol: