Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: ROD'S H2
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:25 pm 

P.M'd Nev. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:09 am 

A little bit more of the H2 History, and then we'd better get this thing done! Another shot of the day I got it home, reference photo........ (look where they put the "750" on the side cover!)Image
After a few racing seasons, we started to modify things, nice brakes, brand new J&R's, 3.5" rear rim, 2.15 front rim, mild port work, and a really nice set of S&W rear shocks, (brilliant!), etc. etc. I do remember at the time 34 Mikunis were really expensive, so I didn't get there, but things worked well.....
But I am not sure why anybody would paint a H2, (of all things) in the old English "black with Gold pin-stripes" scheme....what was I thinking!! :roll:
A gnarly old photo this one, but the all black look on engine, pipes, etc. indicates lots of wear and tear...... The paint job is " '72 blue in a H2-A scheme". I was working out of the city at the time, and that thing pulled a 17/47 combination for quite a while.... I think you could still start off in 5th, but you had to pretend you weren't trying!! 8-)
I think by now we are into the late '80's, and the siren song of the 900 Ninja was calling...... an interesting bike, sort of like a freight train with a quick steering 16" front wheel, but that is a whole 'nother story.
So the plan is to rebuild a H2 with a lot of the bits and pieces we have collected over the years, and, sorry to repeat myself, but if it wasn't for this forum, and going way back to the old Tomcat Forum, then all of these parts would have probably ended up on the Tip, with only a few good memories left......!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:10 am 

I wish I had similar photos of mine, Rod. I think I have one color slide I took after I repainted mine, and that's about it. I like the black and gold version, by the way.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:00 pm 

When I race de my H2 on the 70s paint end it on H1F Brown yellow scheme, no color picture yet :mrgreen: :|

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:34 pm 

Great thread, Rod, and great pics too. I'm starting to feel like 16 years again :D
Keep posting !

/Peter

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970
Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000, 1992

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:20 pm 

One of the smaller jobs, but surprisingly expensive is building a seat - $20 on E-bay for a base
A few repairs with Carbon Fibre matting, (Aviation industry here!) and being in the painting business, a nice base to start with...
And the underside looks fine, lets drill some holes for the side mouldings, which are stainless steel, so any small dents, tap out and file, and polish, polish....like new!
We have all seen a H2 seat, so more pics later on of the finished unit, foam and seat cover from Diablo/Restoration decals.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:27 pm 

...And back to the frame for a bit.... I never broke a steering damper mount, but the H2-A frame I am using needed a bit of attention in that area. We made a new bracket which is solid, the trick is that the damper mount and nut butt against the frame, and the bracket cannot flex. I think it'll work, but.......! :think:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:50 am 

I don't fit hydraulic steering damper on any of my H2, no need, neither the mecannic one :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:32 am 

You have very smooth roads over there J.P. Auto-strada, auto-bahn, auto-route, and you live in the city! :P We have BUMPY, twisty back roads, and bumpy race tracks......... I would fit 2 hydraulic dampers if I could!! :lol: If I back the damper off on the ZX10r, it can get into a tank-slapper on a full throttle run, doesn't take much! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:36 pm 

not only Rod, we have also bad roads, bumpy and twisty roads and so on happily.

On my way to go to Coupes Moto Legende from Paris I even found a twisty landway for nearly 10 kilometers :shock:

And I travelled Pyrénées mountains from Spain to France years ago on my RG 500 -lower fairing off- with a passenger on a 25 kilometers twisty montain landway accross the border, The friend alone with a Yamaha XT 600 couldn't follow and we were late to reach the hotel restaurant before they closed kitchen. So I let him on the mountain and arrived at the hotel on last minutes, ordered for us and him so we have eaten :D forgot to say was raining :lol:

But I discovered years ago K triple were more steady w/o steering damper if you frame, swing arm, fork, wheels had the good set up.
Add the fact I nearly fallen more than 40 years ago when the bracket of my steering damper broke on my first H2A :roll: no more steering damper
Even on very hard bars shake from side to side you recover the bike 8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next