Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: ROD'S H2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:25 am 

Frame Number to follow, it is here somewhere!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:44 am 

Great, just need a frame :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:57 pm 

RODH2 wrote:
So here is a Picture of a H2 frame on a milk-crate...... what is different about this frame? (I hear you ask!) I bought this frame in the early '80's with a sheet load of other parts. We sand blasted this frame, and ran a (at the time) Arc welder, on a zillion volts over every factory weld. Then we put it in a jig to ensure the steering stem was at 90 degrees to, and in the centre of, the swing-arm mounts. Easy after that, another sand blast and BLACK 2-Pak paint job.

RL=http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/raharradine/media/DSCN0507_zpspjew1dqf.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

YOU KNOW it wont look right with Welds that are nice and clean Rod :cry: , the beauty of an early Seventies Jap bike was believing that the Frame wouldnt brake at the WELDS :lol: , the guys that did them left there seeing eye dogs at home :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:48 am 

Onto a bit of H1 History..... In late '69 we were sitting at a cafe on the main drag out of the city, when this guy on a white H1 comes shrieking past us at about 9,000 RPM in 3rd gear... turns out a friend had been given a demo bike for the weekend, to try and impress potential buyers....well, it worked on me! I resolved to get a H1 there and then, by the time I did, the red H1 had just come along, so I got the first red H1 in town. It was always a love/hate relationship with the H1, or more particularly a hate relationship with the front brake! I started production racing then, it was becoming really big in Australia, and stock meant absolutely showroom standard. Took a while to sort out the front brake, but we did manage a few wins on the short, twisty tracks over here. After falling off a couple of times, (front brake) I painted it "Indy Orange".
Here we are in 1970, still got most of that hair, but it has, err, lightened up a bit!
Had a mate with a Moto-Guzzi V7, you could not get 2 more different bikes, and it was a lot of fun to swap bikes!
The mighty H1, in street/race trim, lights off, number plates on!
Just an aside, front Number plates were compulsory in 70/71, disappeared in '72........ (and don't cut the piston skirts on a street H1......!!)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:56 am 

..... those genuine Kawasaki flat bars cost me $3.50 in 1970, and they are going on the big H2 build. They have been shortened a couple of times, unintentionally, but it's a bit harder to lengthen them.... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:27 am 

Great pictures Rod - good times!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:52 am 

Those are some great pics…. they suggest it would be a lot of fun sitting with you over a couple beers.. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:35 am 
Site Admin

WOW! Even color pictures!...... :lol: :lol: :lol: Gotta love the old pics though...... :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:32 am 

Yes, great photos, Rod.

I bet you've since learned to position yourself next to a motorcycle to work on it, rather than on the seat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:37 pm 

Flat bars look cool!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next