Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: ROD'S H2
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:55 pm 

I guess I was really presenting the only drawback I could think of to having holes in the drum. I doubt if Rod will have a problem with that, since he may not be planning a lot of rain rides on that H2, or parking it in the rain.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

You aren't thinking it through, Jim. WD 40 has the little spray tubes that will go right in any oe of the holes to disperse any water..... GHEESH! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:28 pm 

Jim wrote:
I guess I was really presenting the only drawback I could think of to having holes in the drum. I doubt if Rod will have a problem with that, since he may not be planning a lot of rain rides on that H2, or parking it in the rain.

Yes never thought of that, and it doesn't rain very often in Sth Oz, it's driest State in Australia, with 85% arid desert.

1973 H2-A
2000 F650GS BMW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:18 pm 

Thanks Guys. The front rim is a 2.15 Akront shoulderless number, which when polished matches the rear rim, which is a 3.5 shoulderless D.I.D. rim, both of which I got in, phew, early '80's I guess! There won't be much riding in the rain, I'll be riding when you people are all at work :lol: ......well, most of you will be sleeping, but you get the point! Another reason I got used to a Triple rear brake is that the original Stainless steel alloy discs, simply DID NOT WORK in the wet....... you might go 20metres or something before they would bite...... (anyone else remember those days!!!) :shock: The Japanese couldn't have a disc going rusty, so stopping itself was pretty much optional! And Baz is right, it doesn't rain much where I am, maybe 8-10 inches a year, although the vineyards 4 miles away seem to get plenty :think: .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:36 am 

An other weak point with the holes on the rear drum could be a gravel goes inside. Believe me so you will get the more efficient rear brake when you will touch the brake pedal. Don't ask me how I know but remember you have vents on early H1 rear brake you can open :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:13 am 

"more efficient rear brake..." :lol: That is a good point, J.P.! I actually used this set up for a few years, back in the old days, without a problem, but I take your point! If it locks up with gravel, I will blame you!! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:35 am 

So it might be a good idea to avoid entering hill climb competitions, Rod.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:54 am 

Just a little house keeping tonight, in that we are marrying Frame No. H2F25468 with engine No. H2E7270 (whoa, an Early one!) and working out the rear suspension. I have some old S&W air shocks, and am thinking about what happens to oil (that is in the shocks) after being in storage for many, many years... They hold air, and the rubber reservoir looks fine, and I have thought about the "limp home mode" should they fail. Pics to come. But in the meantime, I always like it when a good bottle of Red finishes like this..... ! :D Image
And a pic of the Shocks, sorry, used this pic. before.
I am thinking I will go Longer with the shocks, but am also thinking of a baseline to start with....!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:18 am 

Really nice!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:25 am 

Have you tested the chassis by riding it like a velocipede?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next