Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:21 pm 

Hello, I used to race afm in 74 - 76 on an H2b and just picked up a 74 H1 that I want input on! I still tickle my toes on most corners & have tapered rollers & bronze swingarm bushings & ex caliper/&master coming! What size rear shocks and what brand seem to work the best w/out braking the bank? What size rims front and rear,wm3's?? 18" @ both ends or stay w/ the 19 front / 18 rear combo?? What tire's , was leaning towards Avon roadrunners or Avon am 22's, but open to input in that I haven't priced the Avon vintage race tires yet, also what size?? Also is frame bracing needed on the h1as it was on the H2, even though I think my days of pushing the front going into corners is probably over! Still get the rear to step out a few times/ ride and go through toe sliders pretty regularly! Thanks for any input!! PS thanks John for the sizes on your rear shocks!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

I run an 18" front, actually a rear 2.15 rim laced on the front, for lighter steering and better ratio to the front disc. With a 100 front BT 45. Rear 100/110 depending on my mood....lol. If going to AL rims, I would stick with a 2.15 front and a 2.50 rear. I don't see a need for frame bracing with the standard suspension updates.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:50 pm 

Is that a wm3 in the front and a wm4 for the rear, I've got a pair of borrani wm3 sitting around, guess it's time to learn how to lace up rims! Did you get specially built spokes or did you use a s3 hub??

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:42 am 
Site Admin

I don't know the wm equivalent for rim sizes, easy enough to find though. And I didn't have an S3 hub at the time, so I used the 500 hub. I think you also have to find a early Z1 or KH 500 disc so not have to use the smaller 400 disc. I just called Buchanans and told them what I was doing and they knew which spokes to send.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:49 pm 

I used a borrani 18 on the front and called bucannon and got the regular size H2 front spokes and they laced up great without having any mods. You really should talk to them first. The rim was already laced with stock spokes so I just took one out and measured and they sent me the 19" stock spoke for the front. It wasn't too bad to do the job and I had never laced a wheel before. Bought the cheapo HF truing stand and with a couple simple mods, found it was an effective tool. Truing took a lot of time but came out perfect. I found it a tedious but satisfying job to do and would do it again. The hardest part is that there are no torque specs for the borrani light weight aluminum rim with the heavy bucannon spokes. I called and did what they recommended and expect it to need several adjustments once it gets back on the road. It is a beautiful rim and really light. I wish I had the back one to match but bike came with a DID aluminum on the rear.