Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: gearbox woes
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:29 am 

Hi all, I have installed a set of good secondhand gears by Paul Gast which have been undercut on the up shift side only for drag purposes I imagine and it shifts great going up but coming down it sticks like crazy but I noticed when I am riding in top gear and watch the gear lever it rotates downwards about 1/2" and then it is really hard to change down you have to keep chopping at it till it changes a gear then it's alright again until you get in to top again or the rotation happens whichever comes first,it was put together by a guy who you all know and respect so I don't know what's wrong anyone ever had this problem??Cheers Hooter. :oops: :oops:

Post subject: Re: gearbox woes
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:20 am 

I had a similar issue with my undercut gears. It turned out to be too much slop in the mechanism..once that was resolved, the problem went away. In the meantime, LC rode the bike and taught me a "workaround": preload the shift lever with your boot before you pull in the clutch - keep your foot on it, pull the clutch in and complete the downshift. This worked perfectly for me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:56 am 

Thanks Zambia,Do you mean too much slop in the shifter or the gearbox drum and shift forks??Hooter :banghead :banghead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:57 am 

For me it was the shifter. Jeff D can take of this for you...my friend helped me out, but from what I've seen and heard Jeff would be a great option.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6812&start=40

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7392

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:50 am 

Yeah some slop in the works can make it tough, undercut gears or stock.
I found when reinstalling the linkage and levers, if you don't get the angles they mount at just right, it can severely limit the shift stroke you get.
Causing tough or no downshifts especially.
So a little play in the ends or levers on the splines, will translate to a lot of slop in the overall shifting mechanism.
What LC told you was right on Ian, and it works to help prevent missed gear upshifts as well to "preload" the lever.