Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:01 pm 

It is definitely surprising what you can get out of these little engines. I'm really impressed with those numbers. Gives me something to strive for. :thumbup: well done!

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1
06 Kaw 750 Vulcan (wife’s bike)
12 Yammi vstar 250 (wife’s bike)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:17 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
You will catch a few 500's off guard I bet....... ;)

+1
and a few that were ready for'em too 8-)

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:21 pm 

Thats gotta be the finest 400 I've ever seen!
:o CB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:01 am 

Thanks guys. :thumbup:
Heres a link to the build thread over on Simons kh forum
http://kawasakikhregister.myfastforum.o ... 2656-0.php

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:52 pm 

Fantastic numbers all right, great achievement.
Smoothness of the curve is impressive, must be most enjoyable to ride on the street, not peaky.
If will run circles around any 500.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:13 am 

Just found this thread and those are indeed fantastic numbers, just proves what us Kawa 400 fans have been saying all along.
Not to hijack the thread but I thought it might be cool to post my own Dyno saga for those who may not have seen it. Here is an edited copy of what I originally posted on the Canadian & S series boards. Motor is stock with 1st over Wiseco pistons, pipes are one off WTF's courtesy of Walms & TripleNut.

After a bit of a saga with different versions of stock air filter setups I finally came to the conclusion that I might as well fit pods & ordered a set of 15 deg angled intake (snowmobile) uni's. Bike has stock pilots (22.5) & increased (from 85) 92.5 mains, there was a slight blubber at 5000 rpm which I tuned out by dropping the needles one notch from centre. With this set up the bike runs clean with zero bogging, blubbering, flat spots, or hesitation & pulls strong all the way to the red line.

Once 'on the pipe' at 6500 - 7000 it pulls really hard & my butt dyno told me it was working way better than when I had the Wirges fitted. The WTF's continue producing power where the Wirges start to tail off as the needle approached the red line.
I had some correspondence with TTNut who was kind enough to give me some numbers from his pipe design software, I threw these into MS excel & produced a chart. Bear in mind that the Hp numbers shown are not calibrated to actual (real time) data, TTNut has since corrected this.

The chart shows the RPM / HP comparison between the WTF & Wirges pipes. Anyone who has tried both setups will be able to confirm with their butt dyno what the chart shows.

I though it would be cool to see if a real dyno run produced a similar curve / data set to the pipe design software. I also of course was curious to see how the power produced stacked up to Kawasaki's original 42 Hp claim. Lastly, but most importantly I wanted to see how good my carb set up was to make sure the motor would be safe at higher rpm.

So, with this in mind I finally bit the bullet & booked a baseline run with Craig at CyclePro. As some of you may know Craig is a Canadian board member & has a lot of knowledge on tuning triples, he also looks after the wrenching & tuning of Gary Connors H2 drag bike motor.

Craig was also kind enough to allow me to watch the dyno runs and take pictures & video of the run which proved to be very interesting & also produced better results than my pessimistic (realistic?) nature predicted. Craig asked me how high he could rev the engine & I told him 9000 rpm, as things transpired this was a bit optimistic..

After a few set up tweeks the first run produced 38.8 RWHP, (my prediction was 30). I should add that my prediction was based on a dyno chart I saw back in the day which said 28 RWHP.

Anyway, Craig explained that he did not take the bike to the red line because he could see that the motor was getting into a little distress at high rpm. he surmised that this was likely due to the mains being either too rich or too lean, but More likely too lean.
To prove his theory he employed an old school trick (which was new to me) of partially taping off each intake filter with duct tape. The effect of this is to restrict airflow & therefore richen up the mixture.

The next run produced 40.3 RWHP, still signs of distress at high RPM but proof that the mains are too lean. Based on his experience Craig suggested going to a 97.5 main jet which should give the motor the gas it needs at high RPM & will likely improve the peak HP further.
The Dyno chart shows a small dip in the power & torque curves around the 5000 rpm range, something he concluded is likely the pipes, interestingly this dip is also shown on the data supplied by Don. Looks like we have correlation between theoretical & actual data, something us engineers always like to see. Don has since confirmed that the dip is common to all Kawa triples and is a factor of porting, not pipe design.

Needless to say I did order and install 97.5 mains which as Craig predicted now allow the motor to rev out without any signs of distress. In fact on a couple of occasions while giving it some stick I have gone to shift into 5th at 8000 only to find that I was already in top gear. The motor is still pulling like a train & I'm now considering switching back to KH stock gearing, 15 tooth engine sprocket instead of the 14 tooth S3 I'm running at the moment.
TTNut has corrected his software to correlate with my Dyno numbers & is predicting that the motor will make around 50 Hp @ 9000 rpm. Depending on finances I may take it back to Craig sometime to do another run.

Click to run video..

SoupD.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:55 pm 

just keep posting pics, love that bike soup 8-)

oh yeh good figures too :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:38 pm 

Soup,bring even bigger main jets if you you go back,just in case
Brec