Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:19 pm 

Hey all! This bike build was detailed on "Another Site" and then I disappeared and seems like most people migrated here in the interim. With the Suzukis and the TR6s, I'll be letting go of what is left shortly. Wanted to post it up here for what it's worth. I've got to finish remanufacturing the reed boxes...they're TIG'd on solid but have to do a little work...a little grinding...a little filing...blasting...and paint...finding the title... I'll put it in the FOR SALE section when the time comes...in case someone wants to take the project on...

74 frame, early GSXR swingarm/shock, originally here with the GS forks, clipons, and wheels. Case reed boxes from a Polaris triple snowmobile...6-petal with stuffers and carb boots. Early cylinders ported by PO??? Stock bore with pistons/rings/pins... Rest of motor guts and heads already gone...

Fresh automotive 2-part paint in green... Painted the stock tank and aluminum tail about 5 years ago... Nice and hard but have never been on the bike...

View of the original reed job...revamp looks pretty much the same but there's TIG under JB...instead of just JB.

Here's the roller as it is today with a FZR front end...the original GS front end, clip-ons, Ninja caliper, green pads, line, and master are included...along with the FZR forks/tree...

I'm sad that this one will have to go but too many other things going on.....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:12 pm 

That's some amazing work! How did you seal up the intakes on the cylinders?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:18 pm 

Hawaii-Mike wrote:
That's some amazing work! How did you seal up the intakes on the cylinders?

Originally with an industrial size batch of JB Weld...hence the name...and the joking pokes I still continue to get to this day from SOME board members... It worked fine and didn't leak but after a week at The Gap I noticed a VERY SMALL hairline crack so off came all the JBW (A feat in itself). The same reed boxes are now TIG'd on solidly but still had some gaps at points...which are still JBW but now the boxes are solid and the JBW isn't supporting the reeds and carbs as it was before... Tom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:50 pm 

Mmmm, case reeds, the best way to do them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:52 pm 

I must have missed this bike on the old forum. How did it run with those case reeds?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:51 am 

oxford wrote:
I must have missed this bike on the old forum. How did it run with those case reeds?

It is the only reeded H2 I've ridden so no point of real comparison. It pulled much better off idle and revved out well. Down low you could crack it open and you didn't have the WAAAHHHHHhhhhhaaaaaaa... It had 39.5mm bored carbs on it. My theory is that big carbs don't meter well at low airflow and large openings but the reeds greatly reduce the reversion that screw up low speed mix even more. The theory guys can correct me... :D

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:08 am 

Here's a couple vids...1st time it ran...and the 1st time I rode it...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:04 am 

Greetings Tom, long time no see. I remember you had this bike at the Gap meet, working on the jetting.

Did you decide to get out of triples all together?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:22 am 

motometal wrote:
Greetings Tom, long time no see. I remember you had this bike at the Gap meet, working on the jetting.

Did you decide to get out of triples all together?

Yes..at the Gap... Moo handled the jetting because I suck but he had to deal with rearsets that were placed too high...lower now. Pretty much so as I have too many projects. I have the two GT250's and the GS1100 land barge when I want to honk on it. I've owned far more H2 in my lifespan then anything else so I don't plan on fading away, I'll just admire the fine work of others... Tom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:32 am 

"GS 1100 land barge" ... makes me smile! :D (I gave up Suzukis when they went to white wheels.... and the worlds heaviest bikes!!) what was that about!! :)