Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: H2 close ratio gears
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:55 am 

Hey Guys been a while since i posted, amazing how freaking fast life moves. Did anyone catch this mention in the last line of the projects section of the Nova racing website, heres the link again [color=#BF0040]http://www.novaracing.co.uk/Projects.html[/color]

"Kawasaki H2 6 Speed
With many replica H2’s being produced we have been asked on a few occasions for a close ratio 6 speed like those run in the factory H2R’s in their day."

the above quote is what they have been asked to do a few times and are doing or may do? Was curious to know what you all thought.

Finally started working on my bike again, i was down for 6 months with hand issues, not good for a chiropractor! better now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:16 am 

Good to here you are on the improve! Just one opinion, A 6-speed box is going to be expensive, in H-series re-build terms, and my opinion is that you will gain more working with mid-range torque, than more revs, (which would suit a 6-speed box......) Just sitting here typing, what do others think....?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:36 am 

Hey Rod, nah I'm not interested in it. I found it interesting however and thought others would like to have the info. The fact that the H2 was mentioned to the folks at nova a few times, and only a few times actually made me chuckle.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:01 am 

a six gearbox will be a great bonus as you can have great acceleration with long sprockets ratio but there isn't really a room for it.
BTW here is the link for 6 speed gearbox project
http://www.novaracing.co.uk/Projects.html

and notice the 1st gear, the 5 th gear and fork on production
http://www.novaracing.co.uk/ManufacturerKawasaki.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:26 pm 
Site Admin

As long as people fiddle around with antiquated piston ports, they will always want for a 6th gear........... ;) :e11 ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:49 pm 

6 speeds on rotary and reed valve engines seem to be good as well, my RZ500 likes its 6 speed, RG500 street bikes. There was even a 7 speed on one Kawasaki twin racer, worked well. I have always thought the S series engines should have had a 6 speed stock, and, there is a blank space on the gear shafts for a 6th gear set, from what I remember. I'd liked to see the H series built with 6 speed gearboxes as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:07 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
As long as people fiddle around with antiquated piston ports, they will always want for a 6th gear........... ;) :e11 ;)

how strange, are you in favor of reeds John? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:08 am 
Site Admin

That would be a yes JP......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:43 am 

I vote with John, yes as well, reeds, case reeds especially, or, rotary valves, good to go. Even with the dismal transfer port areas of the H and S series engines, they respond to reeds very well. Now, just think when the rear of the cylinder could be converted to add two more transfer ports, with also using case reeds, and the H2 would be a whole lot more animal than it was stock, and becomes when modified today. Then, handle the heating issues, 6 speed, might not be a historically correct H2, but, one GIANT heck of a lot more fun to ride.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:49 am 

I agree with everything you said, Dave. On the other hand, cylinder reeds allow a guy like me to convert to reeds with a few evenings of Dremel tool work, and give a very big improvement in engine performance. Not the ultimate setup maybe, but huge bang for the buck.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next