Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:47 pm 

This should work on any custom project if you are thinking of doing a mono shock conversion.

My bike is converted to an enduro rear swing arm and 80s style dirt bike mono shock. The shock was to soft and would completely bottom out from accelerating hard. I looked around everywhere and could not find replacement shock springs or info in the dirt bike world.

The best info I could find suggested the shock had about a 150lb spring on it. I was looking at one of the car parts catalogs I get in the mail and I hit the jack pot. The replacement springs for aftermarket coil over car shocks come in just the right size and any spring rate you want 100-650lbs. And they are cheap enough that if you don't get the feel you want you can just try a different spring rate (~$40)

I bought a 10" 375lb spring with the correct 2.5" ID. It fit great. It is just a little on the stiff side, but I wanted to be able to ride a passenger.

I didn't revalve it or anything, just changed the spring. It is not bouncy or anything. I've had people tell me this could blow the shock or have all kinds of bounce, but I have no bounce and we aren't talking about doing motocross jumps with it. I have several hundred miles on it so far with no problems. Speedway has a huge selection of all different sizes and spring rates. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Shop/Coil ... meter:2.50

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:27 pm 

Hmm, thats actually a pretty good idea. I could see myself doing this if my "dual mono" idea fails.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:05 am 

Cool idea.

You can go to Race Tech's website and find the specs on the recommended spring for your bike, change the kg/mm to lbs/inch with an online converter and bada-boom, bada-bing!