Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Silencers sources?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:24 am 

bolly wrote:
I just noticed along the right side is a window "People Who Bought This Item Also Bought:"

a $20.99ea Yoshimura Tec-Kit Insert: http://www.jcwhitney.com/yoshimura-tec- ... d=c14666j3

not 100% sure how it all goes together but shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.... looks better that the self tapping screws and the baffle that comes with the silencers... $117 gets 3 silencers and 3 inserts... hmmmmm

According to the description, the inserts fit only Yoshimura exhausts.

Whitney stocks 8" Pertronix silencers. The 1-1/8 core version has a 2" outer tube. If you get the 1" core version for an H1 or S series, you'll get a 1-1/2" outer tube. I have Pertronix specially make two versions of their silencers to be very nearly the same as the ones Denco used. They're longer, and the 1" core version for H1 and smaller has 2" outer tubes. I buy them in large batches, but I do pay a lot more than their stock 8" ones cost. You can see them at http://www.lakeserv.net/chambers I have them made for my Denco reproduction chambers, but I do sell them separately in case someone needs to repair a Denco pipe, or for special applications.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:42 pm 

The longer the silencer, the more sound absorption?

Walms wrote:
+1, I picked up a set in carbon, very nice indeed! $99 each.
Mike is a great guy to deal with as well.

1972 T500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:50 pm 

keithwwalker wrote:

Yes. But then at some point, the weight becomes more than you might want to hang on a stinger tube, or in the case of an H1, they may start sticking past the rear wheel. The M Factory West silencers come in 150mm, 250mm, and 300mm lengths. I used the 250mm ones on the H1 chambers that Mike has in his M Factory West photo collection.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:23 pm 

Jim wrote:
keithwwalker wrote:

Yes. But then at some point, the weight becomes more than you might want to hang on a stinger tube, or in the case of an H1, they may start sticking past the rear wheel. The M Factory West silencers come in 150mm, 250mm, and 300mm lengths. I used the 250mm ones on the H1 chambers that Mike has in his M Factory West photo collection.

hi jim, i love those pipes in the pic , do the pipes clear the spindle(for removle), and is it possible to angle the stinger/last cone more upwards for this and (to me more appealing to the eye).
thanks mark

73 KAWASAKI H1 (Sold).
82 YAMAHA RD350LC
2000 KAWI KDX200H
2001 Triumph TT600

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:52 pm 

I think the center pipe would need to come off the rear peg and drop down to get the rear axle out. It's never been a problem for me, but I know what you mean. I can easily angle the stingers any way you like, but I'd rather not mess with the rear cone angles on the Denco repros since I get the sections laser cut and ready to roll and weld. For the pipes in the photo, I angled the stingers so the bottoms of the tubes are parallel to the bottoms of the baffle cones. I'm not sure it would look better to go higher than that. If you like upswept pipes, you'd probably prefer them to have an overall curve up throughout the length of the pipes, rather than try to do it all at the rear.

I know it's a personal thing, but I usually find very upswept pipes to look a bit forced, like they're trying to mimic modern sport bikes. Maybe Anotherusername can post of a shot of the pipes in the photo installed when he has a chance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:59 pm 

thanks for the detailed answer jim.
i await anotherusernames photo to see them mounted up.
cheers mark

73 KAWASAKI H1 (Sold).
82 YAMAHA RD350LC
2000 KAWI KDX200H
2001 Triumph TT600

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:35 pm 

Toomey makes some decent silencers as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:51 pm 

Thanks all for replying!

I'll probably go with the M factory or Tyga, but some customization will be done as I have been idealizing the exhaust system for this bike the following way:

Walms tucked chambers look already terrific and I was thinking to opaque chrome them as I have done with many other parts in this bike (Opaque chrome is applied over a glass beads blasted surface, so no polished shine, but metal clear looks), this would emphasize the great looks of these chambers.
For the silencers I was figuring the flanges in bright clear anodized aluminum and the outer tube in bright gloss black anodizing.

As far as chambers and exhaust systems are concerned what would be of us without the great work of Jim and Walms?

Walms Chambers on initial assembly stage. Will post more as it progresses

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:42 pm 

Carlos, have you made some changes to the walms pipes. I thought he had them designed so that all of the seams on the cones lined up with each other?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:50 pm 

I don't mean to speak for Carlos or Walms, but they don't all line up on WTF pipes. Some seams line up with laser cut notches. A clear set of drawings is supplied to help with assembly.