Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:43 pm 

I'm finished rebuilding the engine on my Kawa A7 and am putting it back in this weekend. Do I need to run a tank of premix while the air works its way out of the oil lines? Also is there any bleeding technique or anything with these oil pumps, or can I just leave it to purge itself? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:53 pm 

You'll get a lot of opinions - this is a frequently asked question (do a search on premix).

I like the thought that the factory did not do it - why should you.

Moo's method - which I use, is to just hold the pump open. Won't take long for you to see the air bleed out and you're on your way to smokerville.

You can do it for piece of mind, won't really hurt initially but I don't see that it really does anything.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:58 pm 

Oil is flowing past the bubbles. The bike will be smoking appropriately if the pump is working. My experience....I've never used premix in such a situation and the air bubbles have always worked themselves out after a few miles ride. I've never used synthetic oil at first so I can be sure to see it smoking.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ4jlFH ... zJnTbl_QQw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:40 pm 

I rebuilt my oil lines on my last rebuild, confirming crack pressure and lapping the ball socket to get them to seal properly. I confirmed that they were sealing by hanging them check valves down for 24 hours without oil loss.
As a bonus, my lines were full at first kick. :)

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:08 pm 

Thanks for the help guys, Ja-Moo hasn't put me wrong yet so I'll follow his advice. I've used a couple of your Youtube videos for help with my rebuild so far Ja-Moo, so many thanks from me :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:09 pm 

Walms wrote:
I rebuilt my oil lines on my last rebuild, confirming crack pressure and lapping the ball socket to get them to seal properly. I confirmed that they were sealing by hanging them check valves down for 24 hours without oil loss.
As a bonus, my lines were full at first kick. :)

I wondered whether I'd need to use such a method, but the advice here seems to suggest it's not necessary thankfully. Here's hoping none of my oil lines leak, though I suspect they're as old as the bike so I'm not holding my breath.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:41 pm 

It's not likely you'd have an issue... Fwiw my bike smokes less running dino this year than it did running synthetic last year but oil lines are sort of thing that can be delt with in the off season.
Be sure to follow Jamoo's recommendation on seating the rings as well. ;)

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:08 pm 

Good news, followed Ja-Moos start up procedure, and also zip-tied the oil pump at full squirt (just because). Very quickly the oil flowed and the bike smoked, and it runs beautifully.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Time to have some fun! :thumbup: