Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Excessive exhaust smoke
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:31 am 

Drove my 71 H1 to a triple meeting last week, and everyone there thought my bike have too much exhaust smoke. It did not run that good either. Bad throttle response and seems too rich in the lower register.

The sparks plug were removed (BUHX) and they were all black and sooty. Installed B9HS plugs gapped to 1 mm instead and did a test run. The colors were different on all cylinders; left white, center brown and right black. :problem:

Obviously I need to go over the carbs, but could the oil pump be faulty too? :think:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:36 am 
Site Admin

This may apply: http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/bulletins/73-h16.pdf

In addition, check valves probably need new springs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:48 am 

I wouldn't do much riding until I got those carbs jetted and tuned..your "white" left cylinder is in peril. In my experience, a bike can run fairly well even with oil pump issues.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:58 am 

Not disagreeing with the above posts, but it's also possible your right carb has a problem like a leaking float valve. You could swap carbs to see if the sooty plug moves to a different cylinder.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:41 am 

Thanks, It does seem to drink oil but not sure if it's more than normal. I really hope the oil pump is OK. I suppose getting a new one is difficult?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:55 am 

Just questions, have the engine cases been split, and, what sealker was used when they were reassembled?

Other things, right seal leak, transferring oil to the left thr9ugh crank seals, loose primary gear/nut.

Easiest way we used to trace case leaks, we changed the trans oil to Castrol R, and ran the engine. Usually, the street bikes ran K2 Kawasaki oil in the injector system, so, if there was a leak, the exhaust smelled like a day at the GP races.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:48 pm 

I haven't split the engine myself, but since the bike was restored the cases must have been apart at some time.

So because I didn't build the bike it's guesswork to correct anything ufortunately.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:52 pm 

Tuner makes a good point. Keep an eye on your transmission oil level and see if it's going down, which would point to a leaking right side seal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

And the left seal, as it could be bad and sucking in air, making for a lean mixture.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:40 pm 

Doesn't sound good. Maybe the season is over for this bike. It does start very easily but maybe that doesn't prove the seals are any good?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next